Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And For Those Who Complerely Lack A Sense Of Body Awareness...

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Off topic, but does anyone know what opera singers sprayed down their throats using an atomizer in the old cartoons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any one of a number of astringents, if I recall correctly.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    Any gene, even a dominant one, that takes over a population that quickly is a remarkable thing. One wonders if the gene might not have some other survival benefit that is more obvious than the ability to digest milk. The lactase could just be a tagalong, like a spandrel. Are there any other examples of a gene that was so successful so rapidly?
    I realize the analogy is perhaps flawed, but what about myopia? It has spread very quickly not because myopia confers any benefit but probably because the enormous survival benefit of not having myopia was lost. Or having a small jaw.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I realize the analogy is perhaps flawed, but what about myopia? It has spread very quickly not because myopia confers any benefit but probably because the enormous survival benefit of not having myopia was lost.
    It might be another example, given the hereditary component. It's tricky though, because there are also environmental factors, like "urban eyes."

What I think is important, though, is that it is not developing a new trait, because all humans are born with the ability to digest lactose. Itís just that some people forget to turn it off.

As above, so below