Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would a vegetable flavoured chocolate box work, do you think?

Would a vegetable flavoured chocolate box work, do you think?

box of chocolates with vegetable flavours like:
    carrot
    celery
    tomato(yes I know it's a fruit)
    Avocado(yes I know it's a fruit)
    asparagus
    peas
    sprouts(for the masochist)
    cucumber
    onion
    red pepper

stuff like that.
    Could be called Vegetable Patch chocolate box.

I think some vegetables would work, some wouldn't, like potato.

Also the chocolates could be shaped as much as possible in a way to reflect the vegetable taste of that chocolate.
    Last edited by WaxRubiks; 2018-Sep-09 at 12:10 PM.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Personally it wouldn't work for me.....although I do like carrot cake and grow a variety of tomato called Cherokee Chocolate.

... For me, file this under Stuff you just don't get.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In a previous life i tried to devise new uses for the wondeful papier mache process that makes egg cartons. Many other fibres and binders can be used and a modified egg box to suit chocolates would be possible including making the box edible as well as biodegradeable. The snag in that case was the disparity in market size bewteen eggs and most other things, i was promoting the idea of edible pet food packaging, and i still think its a good idea meeting the volume ctiteria. But why stop atxhocolates, pack vegetables in edible packaging that tastes of ketchup or brown sauce or garlic!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

That sounds truly nightmarish.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

it's a similar idea to the sweets in the Harry Potter book, which they actually made with some weird flavours, I seem to remember buying and eating some, and they were quite good.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    it's a similar idea to the sweets in the Harry Potter book, which they actually made with some weird flavours, I seem to remember buying and eating some, and they were quite good.
    Were ALL of the flavors good, or do you just recall the good ones more clearly?

The Every-Flavor-Beans you can buy probably don't include earwax.

Meanwhile, I've seen chocolate with jalapeno in it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Were ALL of the flavors good, or do you just recall the good ones more clearly?
    I can't recall what the flavours were. Probably not all good though.
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That sounds truly nightmarish.

Grant Hutchison
    Agreed although it could add fibre while cutting the carbs!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The Every-Flavor-Beans you can buy probably don't include earwax.
    The box that I saw did not, but it did have grass, mud, and vomit.

This also proved me wrong about something. One of the things that didn't appeal to me about the Harry Potter books was the lack of realism. That is, it's great to imagine a world like ours but where magic exists, unseen by most, but it seemed silly to imagine jelly beans that randomly have vile flavors, because nobody would buy them. But then, we were in an ice cream and candy shop with our kids and a friend of theirs, and when he saw the any flavor beans, he proceeded to buy them immediately. Then he went through and lined them up, figured out their flavors in advance (there was a color key on the back), and then proceeded to try them all. Yes, including the grass, the mud, and the vomit. He spit out all three of those. I mean, who eats something when someone tells you up front that it's vomit flavored? Still, I admit to being wrong. You absolutely can make jelly beans that are half vile flavors, and people will absolutely buy them and (at least try to ) eat them.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I wonder how one would make an edible moving chocolate frog.

I thought it might be feasible to make moving maggot sweets some how.
    Formerly Frog march.

"If you took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"

Ew.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ... For me, file this under Stuff you just don't get.
    More like "Stuff you just don't want."

Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

While i can see we might have to learn to eat insect larvae, i hope it will not include moving maggots, even when flavoured by technology! It seems to me that cooking is one of the civilising habits we should encourage as we branch out. However you might next consider maggots derived from licquer chocolates, made crisper by CRISPR. ?
    sicut vis videre esto

not real maggots..jelly maggots with some kind of chemical kinetics....I don't want them but I think there would be a market.
    Formerly Frog march.

There are several cheeses involving maggots...casu marzu, for example. These are not on my diet.

While I do not like avocado, I can see people actually chosing to eat avocado chocolates. Heck, people eat chocolate with sea salt or chocolate covered grasshoppers.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2018-Sep-09 at 03:35 PM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

not real maggots..jelly maggots with some kind of chemical kinetics....I don't want them but I think there would be a market.
    Well they still make jelly babies, i would have turned that idea down flat.
    sicut vis videre esto

"You got chocolate in my peanut butter" may work well for Resses but "You got chocolate on my celery" may not.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Well they still make jelly babies, i would have turned that idea down flat.
    Marvellously known as "unclaimed babies" during the Second World War.
    There used to be a pudding of flour, suet and sugar called Drowned Baby. (Like Spotted Dog without the currants.) I think people quite like eating food with strange names.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Sep-09 at 04:19 PM.
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    While I do not like avocado, I can see people actually chosing to eat avocado chocolates. Heck, people eat chocolate with sea salt or chocolate covered grasshoppers.
    I'm of the (acknowledged, minority) opinion that there's nothing you can't make taste worse by putting chocolate on it. I was once part of a group given the choice between grasshoppers fried in butter or chocolate-covered grasshoppers. I was the only one who went for the fried - I think everyone else was trying to drown out the taste (and even the idea) of the grasshoppers.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

You know eating bugs is a great way to get a gut full of thorny headed worms and other things civilized people over the age of five don't get very often?

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Marvellously known as "unclaimed babies" during the Second World War.
    There used to be a pudding of flour, suet and sugar called Drowned Baby. (Like Spotted Dog without the currants.) I think people quite like eating food with strange names.

Grant Hutchison
    I had better not mention some of the pet names we had for school food, but maybe it helped to accept it, mocking a situation does seem to help endure.
    sicut vis videre esto

Milk Tray tried wasabi, kale and beetroot chocolates. M&S tried chocolate flavoured carrots. Shockingly none of these gastronomic revolutions really took off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    You know eating bugs is a great way to get a gut full of thorny headed worms and other things civilized people over the age of five don't get very often?

Just saying.

Cooked or raw?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post

Just saying.
    They don't look so lively after they've been fried, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Presumably raw. Nothing can come back from being cooked to death.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by skepticj View Post
    presumably raw. Nothing can come back from being cooked to death.
    zombie bugs

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I had better not mention some of the pet names we had for school food, but maybe it helped to accept it, mocking a situation does seem to help endure.
    Well, in the Navy we have really colorful names, some of which CAN be posted here.

What the cooks called "porcupine meatballs" ground beef, onions and rice formed into balls about three to four inches in diameter, served with gravy, were affectionately referred to as "Nairobi trail markers", as they appeared to look like things you'd find on a game trail in Africa. Actually one of the more edible offerings after you've been out to sea for a while and all the more perishable foods have been gone through.

And it turns out corned beef is something you have to be raised on in order to develop a liking for. Those that weren't called it "Baboon butt" (paraphrasing here) because of the color and taste. More for me.

The burgers in the foreward mess hall were universally know as "sliders" because of the number of characteristics they shared with hockey pucks. That's why I get confused by why trendy bar restaurants decided to call their small burger offerings by that name.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Presumably raw. Nothing can come back from being cooked to death.
    Sure, that's why trichinosis isn't a thing anymore, right?