Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Suprematism(

It must have been twenty years ago when I went to see an exhibition of Wyeth family paintings in Louisville at the Speed Art Museum. I was looking at a painting by Andrew Wyeth, I think it was "Master Bedroom" with the sleeping dog on the bed, when my gaze lifted and I stared at the darkness above the bed. The darkness was actually a thousand thousand thousand shades of color, a new color with each brush stroke, all melding into a gloom of night if you stepped back only a few feet. It threw me into astonishment and I could not speak. No photograph of the painting captures what was there in reality. When I think of black, or night, or darkness in a painting, I immediately think of the infinite colors of night in that painting.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It must have been twenty years ago when I went to see an exhibition of Wyeth family paintings in Louisville at the Speed Art Museum. I was looking at a painting by Andrew Wyeth, I think it was "Master Bedroom" with the sleeping dog on the bed, when my gaze lifted and I stared at the darkness above the bed. The darkness was actually a thousand thousand thousand shades of color, a new color with each brush stroke, all melding into a gloom of night if you stepped back only a few feet. It threw me into astonishment and I could not speak. No photograph of the painting captures what was there in reality. When I think of black, or night, or darkness in a painting, I immediately think of the infinite colors of night in that painting.
    That sounds awesome, but if it's this painting:
    https://wyethprintgallery.com/product/master-bedroom/

It looks very bright outside, and there is even sunlight on the bed. Is that what you meant, or are you thinking of a different painting?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    That sounds awesome, but if it's this painting: It looks very bright outside, and there is even sunlight on the bed. Is that what you meant, or are you thinking of a different painting? CJSF
    That could be. Memory is not a big help these days.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    That could be. Memory is not a big help these days.
    I actually had to Google when the exhibition was at the Speed, and I couldn't believe it had been 20 years. The rest of the painting has faded away in my mind, but I remember the thousand shades of darkness in the upper third of the painting.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Oct-01 at 08:21 PM. Reason: fixed my memory

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    That is demonstrably untrue.

They evoke uncertainty, leading to curiosity, and a desire to share thoughts about it.

We are now 200+ posts in to a conversation about where the boundaries of art and artists are, and I know a lot more about your preferences for art than I did before and you know a lot of ours.

There's no denying that 'Black Square' has inspired in you a desire to learn a little about abstract art, if perhaps only to settle your doubts about it by listening to other opinions.

I also suspect that, moving forward, the next time you see a piece of abstract art, you will recall parts of this discussion, maybe mull them over, and try them on for size. They may fit, or they may not. You may reject that work, but you won't look at it quite the same way as you did the last one.

You're not quite the same person you were when you started this thread. At the very least, your definitions of 'art' and 'artist' have much softer, fuzzier borders around them than the last time you looked at a piece of work.
    You did not read my post. I said from my point of view, it means nothing. In respect to change of standpoint, What has changed is my tolerance of how others see and interpret the works and accepted the fact that it is a purely personal choice. I, for one, do not need a person to explain to me what I should be seeing. I choose to let my emotions tell me.