Thread: Dune's(movie) heart bleed scene...

Dune's(movie) heart bleed scene...

I saw the original movie at school, when I must have been around 13..Didn't have much option but to watch it it, as it was a lesson in school time. If I had seen the beginning of this movie at home I would have switched over, as it seemed like a really morbid film, but as I say I was at school so didn't have that option.

This scene really disturbed me and has haunted my ever since, to some extent.

The fact that someone could actually operate on someone to make this possible, is the thing that gets me....that some rich/powerful person could kill someone in this way.....it is sometimes hard to forget.

I remember reading that one other CQ member also found it hard to get over. I forget who...

What are people's feelings on this scene?
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Which scene?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Which scene?

Grant Hutchison
    well in the original movie( featuring Sting), there is a scene where some guy is bled to death directly from the heart, by the main baddy, for his own amusement.....not true to the original book I gather.

Anyway, not sure why I had to see this movie.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

I believe he's referring to an introductory scene for Baron Harkonnen, in which he kills a young slave by removing a "heart plug" to bleed him out. After his capture by the Baron, Thufir Hawat was also fitted with one. In an alternative ending scene, Thufir sacrifices himself by pulling his own plug, rather than kill Paul-Muad'Dib Atreides at Feyd-Rautha's behest—a bit of Harkonnen blackmail, holding the antidote over his head for a poison they inflicted upon him.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Didn't have much option but to watch it it, as it was a lesson in school time.
    All I remember about film is coming out of the cinema and thinking it was one of the worst things I had ever seen. And that it had Sting in it. But I repeat myself.

I can't imagine any reason for showing it school. A lesson in "How not to make a movie"?

well in the original movie( featuring Sting), there is a scene where some guy is bled to death directly from the heart, by the main baddy, for his own amusement.....not true to the original book I gather.
    While heart plugs weren't a part of it, the original novel did depict Baron Harkonnen as the vilest of despots: power-hungry, treacherous, sadistic, gluttonous and hedonistic not just to extremes but possessed of unsavory predilections. David Lynch didn't have several chapters in which to establish the character so I imagine that the heart plug was a useful plot device that quickly showed us this was no ordinary bad guy.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That must have been some lesson plan.

What in the world were you studying to have this dubious film inflicted on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    That must have been some lesson plan.

What in the world were you studying to have this dubious film inflicted on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    we had extra-curricular lessons in school time called 'electives'...many of them were ok, like chess, and judo, but I think this one was 'science fiction' or something...well at least we read 'Pale full of air' short story, which is something I suppose.
    Formerly Frog march.

this movie apparently has a 12 certificate, which is unbelievable, considering I used to have to stay up late at night to watch decent movies like The Good the Bad and the Ugly, which I think are 18 certificate......given that certificate in a much earlier, and more innocent age...admittedly.
    Formerly Frog march.

Ah, I'd completely forgotten the heart plug.
    As someone who was working in a cardiac operating theatre at the time, that scene was simply impossible to take seriously - I'm afraid I've just laughed aloud watching the YouTube clip.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I remember that scene vividly - the original Dune was fairly execrable but there were a few moments that shot straight to the heart.
    That scene was one of them.

While I cannot quite remember the details, Baron Harkonnen has a verbal conflict with someone, then soothes himself by pulling the heart-plug out of a young male slave and - if the cinematography is to be believed - satisfies himself sexually while the slave dies.
    The young man's look of mute horror as his heart-plug is pulled out by the Baron is utterly terrifying.
    It didn't really matter that the 'blood' was black; it didn't really matter that anatomy doesn't work that way. The boy's eyes told the story - and however bad that movie was (and it was VERY bad) that moment struck right to the core.
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2018-Sep-22 at 05:27 AM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

this movie apparently has a 12 certificate, ... I think are 18 certificate...
    More than 5 decades on the planet, and I've never heard this term before.

this movie apparently has a 12 certificate, which is unbelievable, considering I used to have to stay up late at night to watch decent movies like The Good the Bad and the Ugly, which I think are 18 certificate......given that certificate in a much earlier, and more innocent age...admittedly.
    I would have been 12 when this came out. It was too much for me. I like the art direction, the imagery, the special effects and the fact that Sting was in it. I hated everything else about it. I think I even had to take a walk out of the theater when the Baron ate a chunk of raw meat. It bother me a lot.
    Solfe

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/dune-1984

Contains moderate violence
    I think this execution is more than moderate violence..
    Formerly Frog march.

I think it's pretty much non-violent, actually. Bath-plug out of chest, tiny spurt of deoxygenated blood. Given the common standard of bloody violence set by the depiction of protracted brutal beatings and gunfights in mainstream media, that was a bit of a paper-cut.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

violent
    ˈvʌɪəl(ə)nt/
    adjective
    adjective: violent
    using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    I suppose the physical force is mainly in the restraint of the victim. The very understated force of the murderer is what makes it such a terrible act, and the fact that he is doing it for pleasure; a sort of rape IMO.

Likewise the scene in Hannibal, where the FBI guy is tied up and they cut parts of his brain out in order to eat it in front of him(haven't seen the film, but have read the book)....to me..it is the under-statedness of the physical act and the level of cruelty which makes it such a violent act, as compared to some mundane bar brawl.
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think it's pretty much non-violent, actually. Bath-plug out of chest, tiny spurt of deoxygenated blood. Given the common standard of bloody violence set by the depiction of protracted brutal beatings and gunfights in mainstream media, that was a bit of a paper-cut.

Grant Hutchison
    I didn't think anything was particular violent, merely so revolting that I didn't want to watch. He might as well have been eating play dough, it was gross. I have the same reaction to Denethor chowing down while the world collapses around him in The Lord of the Rings.
    Solfe

I suppose the physical force is mainly in the restraint of the victim. The very understated force of the murderer is what makes it such a terrible act, and the fact that he is doing it for pleasure; a sort of rape IMO.
    So it's horror, and mainly psychological horror, rather than violence.

Likewise the scene in Hannibal, where the FBI guy is tied up and they cut parts of his brain out in order to eat it in front of him(haven't seen the film, but have read the book)
    Again, horror rather violence. I remember being distracted by the fact the Ray Liotta character could still raise his eyebrows, despite having what would in reality be a completely detached frontalis muscle. (The curse of medical knowledge when watching horror movies - just don't get me started on disembowelment.)

I'm unmoved by cinematic horror, and that dates from long before I had any medical knowledge. And I'm actively irritated by "novel ways to torture and kill a person" movies.
    Whereas I find accurate depictions of everyday violence much more distressing, and accurate depictions of real-life grief in response to real-life trauma almost unbearable.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Hey, I liked the movie!

He will know your ways.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Hey, I liked the movie!

He will know your ways.
    I'm sure it's not without its redeeming features...I was impressed with the giant desert worms...heck knows what they ate to get that big though!

A woman I knew watched it nearly every day for years...it was that or The Exorcist..
    Formerly Frog march.

...I was impressed with the giant desert worms...heck knows what they ate to get that big though!
    Sand. And according to the novels, the sand contains a type of photosynthetic microscopic life called "sand plankton".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Sand. And according to the novels, the sand contains a type of photosynthetic microscopic life called "sand plankton".
    This 'sand plankton' would be confined to a 'photic zone' a few centimetres thick at the top of the sand. Any deeper and it would not receive any light. So the sandworms should really have been flat, wide-mouthed creatures, more like a flatworm in cross-section than an annelid.

Strange to think of the Fremen riding flatworms...

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    This 'sand plankton' would be confined to a 'photic zone' a few centimetres thick at the top of the sand. Any deeper and it would not receive any light. So the sandworms should really have been flat, wide-mouthed creatures, more like a flatworm in cross-section than an annelid.

Strange to think of the Fremen riding flatworms...
    The sandtrout are like flatworms. And the Sandworms also, IIRC, dive deep to eat the pre-spice mass.

So the pre-spice mass must be an anoxic decay ecology, like sea-bottom ooze. Lovely.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    So the pre-spice mass must be an anoxic decay ecology, like sea-bottom ooze. Lovely.
    If you're a Sandworm; it must be pure ambrosia.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    If you're a Sandworm; it must be pure ambrosia.
    Or a Navigator.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Hey, I liked the movie!

He will know your ways.
    I did also. It wasn't the greatest ever, but I did like it. For the time the special effects were pretty good. And it predicted tablet computers. I never understood why so many people seem to hate it.

It isn't like the books were so great and the movie ruined them. The first book was OK, but it went hugely downhill after that, IMO.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I did also. It wasn't the greatest ever, but I did like it. For the time the special effects were pretty good. And it predicted tablet computers. I never understood why so many people seem to hate it.
    There's a story about how the studio executives walked out of Lynch's three-hour theatrical cut looking completely shell-shocked. Some minor functionary is reported to have said: "So, none of you guys ever saw a David Lynch movie before, did you?"
    I'd love to see what Lynch orginally intended, but I'm not that keen on the cut-down release version or the various Alan Smithee versions.

I prefer the TV miniseries, with William Hurt as Leto Atreides.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I can't imagine any reason for showing it school. A lesson in "How not to make a movie"?
    Colour palette selection excellent!