Thread: Odds of being hit by a meteorite?

Odds of being hit by a meteorite?

What is the likelihood per year that I will be struck by a meteorite?
    I know it happened at least once.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    What is the likelihood per year that I will be struck by a meteorite?
    I know it happened at least once.
    Dear me. I hope you sustained no permanent injury.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

36-116 impacts over 10g, per million square kilometres, per year.

If a person has an impact cross section of ~1m2, that's 10-12 of the cross section quoted above, so 36-116 chances in a trillion.

Only you can judge how much time you spend in buildings and vehicles, which would protect you from the more frequent impacts at the low-mass end of this distribution.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Dear me. I hope you sustained no permanent injury.

Grant Hutchison
    Ba dum tss!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    36-116 impacts over 10g, per million square kilometres, per year.

If a person has an impact cross section of ~1m2, that's 10-12 of the cross section quoted above, so 36-116 chances in a trillion.

Only you can judge how much time you spend in buildings and vehicles, which would protect you from the more frequent impacts at the low-mass end of this distribution.

Grant Hutchison
    A base ball glove is only 8.5-11 inches. I need to buy a second baseball glove to increase my surface area.
    Solfe

If your job is unloading meteorites from trucks at a museum, your chance of being hit by one is greatly increased.