Thread: Internet vs brain

Internet vs brain

What fraction of the complexity of the human brain does the internet possess?
    10%? 1%? At the rate it is growing, when will it catch up?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by complexity, and what you mean by the Internet. Do you just mean the Internet as a connection of wires, or do you mean the software on it, for example?
    As above, so below

Are the two really comparable? They work by very different methods.

Tom, do you mean in processing power?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Processing power would be interesting, yes, let's do that as well.
    But I was thinking physically.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Processing power would be interesting, yes, let's do that as well.
    But I was thinking physically.
    Can you expound on that? What physical characteristics do you mean?

Haven't we done this before, in a thread entitled Brain vs internet?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    yes we did this before although it petered out with Penrose. If different this question is about the complexity of the internet as a connected network and thus againwe have to look at different complexities even if the number of nodal connections is increasing it is clearly different. We have people doing meta data analysis and drawing conclusions without actually mining the data, just the amount of it, so that is a bit like neurons firing. And the growth of memes is an internet phenomenon that has accelerated the old fashioned spread of fashions and opinions. So now we have "movements" rather than "parties" and we have "communities" rather than geography. There are some possible similarities , even metaphors in there. You might even say the whole internet expresses personality and it's not a very nice personality, seething with nastiness and with a superficial exterior face. Obviously a brain is not like that
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Inversly Proportional to Its Size

Are you kidding? I would estimate that the Internet has 5% of the capabilities of a human brain, and it's dropping rapidly.

Huh. According to Google, the internet is only about 4.5 billion pages.

That's 1/20th of the number of neurons in a human brain.

And IIRC, each neuron is also a processor, whose power is not yet fully determined. So more like hundreds of billions of individual computers working in series.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Huh. According to Google, the internet is only about 4.5 billion pages.

That's 1/20th of the number of neurons in a human brain.
    But here again, the problem is that you are equating Internet with WWW, but they are actually not the same thing. The WWW is the best-known application being used on the Internet, but it isn't what the Internet is. The Internet is simply a collection of devices connected together with a specific protocol that allows them to exchange packets of data. At present I think an estimate is that there are probably 20 million nodes on the Internet. That's still smaller than the number of neurons. But then again those nodes are often computers with hard disks of their own, which can store much, much more memory than a single human neuron. But then again, the information is stored in completely different ways. So it's very hard to compare.
    As above, so below