Thread: Do you get much contrail where you live?

Do you get much contrail where you live?

I don't know if I live under an busy area, but there nearly always seem to be a few lines across the sky when I look out my window.

It's quite pretty in the morning when the sunrise lights up the contrail pink.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

We get a few a day, we are probably under the routes between places like Boston and New York to Halifax and Europe. Plus there is a small airport on the other side of town. Sometimes with enough moisture in the air on a dark night you can see the beacon light sweeping overhead. Here is a picture of a contrail at sunset last week.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...50799583866880
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

From the jetliners coming out of LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark. They have to be in the right altitude and temperature range for the water to condense out of the exhaust

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Is it true that some contrail, if it is at a high enough altitude, is made of tiny ice crystals? If so, does it condense directly to ice crystals?
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Most contrail you see nowadays is formed from ice crystals, because it comes from aircraft flying at an altitude where the temperature is below freezing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Most contrail you see nowadays is formed from ice crystals, because it comes from aircraft flying at an altitude where the temperature is below freezing.

Grant Hutchison
    That's what THEY want you to think. Those chemtrails are actually made of deadly DiHydrogenMonoxide!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I live near (2 miles) an airport, so I don't really many. Not too many high flying jets in my line of sight. Too many hills and trees.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's what THEY want you to think. Those chemtrails are actually made of deadly DiHydrogenMonoxide!

talking of chemtrail, surely there must be a few conspiracy believers with their own private jets who could maybe show that at least jets can and do leave vapour trails when there are no dubious chemicals involved.
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    talking of chemtrail, surely there must be a few conspiracy believers with their own private jets who could maybe show that at least jets can and do leave vapour trails when there are no dubious chemicals involved.
    Conspiracy promoters, maybe. Those who push the "theories" tend to know better than to buy their own product.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Conspiracy promoters, maybe. Those who push the "theories" tend to know better than to buy their own product.
    I was thinking film stars, pop stars etc. Quite a few of them are inclined to conspiracies, and may have their own jets.
    Formerly Frog march.

I was thinking film stars, pop stars etc. Quite a few of them are inclined to conspiracies, and may have their own jets.
    Ah. But being a successful and wealthy celeb does not require education or common sense! Just as owning a jet aircraft, does not imply an understanding of how said aircraft work.

They're the ones who are leaving the chemtrails. They want you to believe they're not part of the conspiracy, instead of the main perpetrators.

They'd also have to look behind their aircraft to see the contrails being left. There are no rear-facing windows on a bizjet.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    They're the ones who are leaving the chemtrails. They want you to believe they're not part of the conspiracy, instead of the main perpetrators.

They'd also have to look behind their aircraft to see the contrails being left. There are no rear-facing windows on a bizjet.
    Yes wouldn't it be funny if some A list celeb, was having his private jet's aviation fuel packet with drugs, and flying all over the world not that I'm saying it does happen.
    Formerly Frog march.

Yes wouldn't it be funny if some A list celeb, was having his private jet's aviation fuel packet with drugs, and flying all over the world not that I'm saying it does happen.
    It wouldn't be the nuttiest thing they do.

I doubt chem-trail conspiracists believe that all contrails are chem-trails*. Demonstrating that planes naturally leave contrails would be insufficient evidence for them that chemtrails are not real.

*I may be giving them too much credit here. For all I know some do believe that all contrails are chemtrails. But a good conspiracist would construct a stance that is not so trivially falsifiable.

Back home in Perth we rarely see contrails, often none for a few days. The only regular flights we have over us are on the Sydney/Johannesburg route and winds can push that flight well away from us. Apart from that, we occasionally will have a flight from the Middle East heading to eastern Australia change their flight path because of inclement weather. and fly further south than normal.

One of the effects of living in a fairly isolated city.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I doubt chem-trail conspiracists believe that all contrails are chem-trails*. Demonstrating that planes naturally leave contrails would be insufficient evidence for them that chemtrails are not real.

*I may be giving them too much credit here. For all I know some do believe that all contrails are chemtrails. But a good conspiracist would construct a stance that is not so trivially falsifiable.
    What I've often seen is that when pressed they'll come up with fairly arbitrary distinctions like "normal" contrails that dissipate quickly vs. chemtrails that linger.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

It appears contrails have real aftereffects.

https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/18/6...-6393-2018.pdf

Contrails and their impact on shortwave radiation and photovoltaic power production - a regional model study

Gruber, Simon, et al. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Volume 18, Issue 9, 2018, pp.6393-6411 (05/2018)

A case study was performed to investigate the influence of contrails and contrail cirrus on the shortwave radiative fluxes at the earth's surface. Accounting for contrails produced by aircraft enabled the model to simulate high clouds that were otherwise missing on this day. The effect of these extra clouds was to reduce the incoming shortwave radiation at the surface as well as the production of photovoltaic power by up to 10%.

QUOTES: In addition, the impact of contrails and contrail cirrus on SW radiation and the production of PV power were quantified. Although the case study was performed for 3 December 2013, when solar zenith angles are low and the length of days is short, a strong influence of contrails is still simulated. They inhibit up to 5 to 10% of SW radiation from reaching the ground at noon. This results in a loss of PV power production of up to 10%.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Then people would simply say that they had become part of the conspiracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    But a good conspiracist would construct a stance that is not so trivially falsifiable.
    If they were that rational they wouldn't be conspiracists.

Well, jet engine combustors burn pretty hot. The drugs would probably be a bit degraded.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Well, jet engine combustors burn pretty hot. The drugs would probably be a bit degraded.
    well yes, the drugs will need a separate tank, and a release system in the exhaust.
    Formerly Frog march.

If this is going to become a Chemtrail thread, it is going to get moved to the CT section.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules