Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Clev's military Sci Fi thread

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Only if you're locked in to the "squinting down the barrel" paradigm. "Smart" targeting systems are already in development and early testing for terrestrial combatants, so I think it's reasonable to assume that future forces will have more advanced versions. We might see VR or AR systems built in to helmets that integrate with sensor-equipped weapons that feed targeting data to the user. Or how about slew-able weapons built in to the suit that are slaved to the operator's eye position?
    How near term is this technology? Is it anywhere near ready for the field?

ADDED: This was one of the first things to pop up on Google: https://www.popsci.com/smart-rifle-s...-can-be-hacked
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Oct-10 at 11:07 PM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I expect that any suggestions were taken quite seriously, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Can't plan for military activity without knowing the circumstances. I botched in making the OP way too general, I think.

The scenario I'm writing is: Present day Humanity has just encountered warring aliens with access to a wormhole network (not theirs). They fight in a Near Earth orbit. The only survivors flee with little more left than one unarmed ship with a lander. They ask us for help, and we grant it.

There's a few derelict long range spacecraft in NEO, one may still have survivors on board. Assume the aliens give us a lift to reach them. The enemy might or might not still have some working Damage Control and maintenance robots or drones. In order to claim these ships we'll need to board them. Assume present day or very near term tech for this. The enemy is physically large so passageways of 2 meters wide.

We'll hurry to prepare the ships to carry humans ASAP, estimated time frame 2 years. Alien tech gives us heavy lift capacity so we don't need to skimp on mass, but lift capacity is not unlimited. Say, 100 tons per day.

Then our allies will transport us on a troop transport ship to a topopolis, a segment of which has been damaged, without power and opened to vacuum. Our forces have to make our way through to an active area, hundreds of miles of travel in a dark frozen Megastructure. We would mostly be traveling through the Hub area, with low spin equal to about Lunar gravity. We will also enter a compartment with Earthlike air, gravity, and life. In order to get from the Hub to the "ground floor", we'll need to descend a fairly smooth but steep terrain similar to a high mountain. Then do it all in reverse to get back.

We find an empty (badly damaged) enemy ship docked to the Hub. We might be facing survivors from the enemy craft along our trip. We don't know how many or what possible small arms and munitions they might have, but we can tell some of their ship's repair tools were taken with them, and their tech is centuries more advanced than ours but does not seem to include "grey goo" level nanotech. We don't know if there are local things they can use.

The objective is basically a rescue mission. We are retrieving human Cosmonauts to return to Earth.

All this travel will require a large caravan of all terrain military vehicles capable of providing human life support for weeks to a few months. Assume we have built these vehicles. I'm more focussed on the troops, and what they'll need to do and carry to prepare for this journey and for any combat they might face. I can look up what they'd need for conventional combat on the "ground floor" but the rest is outside anyone's experience.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Also note that Tovey was aboard KGV but wasn't the captain of the ship and although he was C in C Home Fleet he couldn't give any direct orders as to the running of the ship.
    That's right, an admiral, though physically aboard the flagship, is supposed to deal with her in the same detached manner as with any other ship in his command. He will issue appropriate orders to the captain, but the captain is in charge of the ship's officers and crew concerning the details of how the orders are carried out.

Send in the Marines

Any US Marines on the Forum? I want to use the Corps in a story and I'd like to get it right. Run details past you, that sort of thing.

Sorry Clev, but it seems like you've already got three or four threads going about what appears to be the same writing project. Could you consider combining them instead of starting a new one every day or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Sorry Clev, but it seems like you've already got three or four threads going about what appears to be the same writing project. Could you consider combining them instead of starting a new one every day or two?
    Yeah, I should. I'll see if the Mods can do that.

The fleet commander could replace the ship's captain with someone more cooperative if they disagree on how the ship should be run.

Four threads by the OP asking for help on various aspects of his military science fiction merged into one as the OP requested.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The fleet commander could replace the ship's captain with someone more cooperative if they disagree on how the ship should be run.
    That's not a casual or nontrivial thing to do, even for an Admiral. It normally takes a well established pattern of extreme incompetence or a REALLY massive screw up to remove a ship's Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Four threads by the OP asking for help on various aspects of his military science fiction merged into one as the OP requested.
    Very big thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Very big thanks!
    And from me as well. Clev, I really appreciate you taking my suggestion well and asking for the change. A lot of folks on the internet wouldn't do that.

That's not a casual or nontrivial thing to do, even for an Admiral. It normally takes a well established pattern of extreme incompetence or a REALLY massive screw up to remove a ship's Captain.
    Quite. And as mentioned, the admiral is not terribly concerned with how any particular ship in his or her force is run. The admiral is concerned with mission, tactics, deployment of forces, rules of engagement and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And from me as well. Clev, I really appreciate you taking my suggestion well and asking for the change. A lot of folks on the internet wouldn't do that.

I know I have communication deficits. I've learned from hard experience to listen when someone says something about how I speak/write. Otherwise I have difficulties determining for myself how well I'm coming across.

I know I have communication deficits. I've learned from hard experience to listen when someone says something about how I speak/write. Otherwise I have difficulties determining for myself how well I'm coming across.
    ditto
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Obviously field testing will be moved up in wartime.

The objective is basically a rescue mission. We are retrieving human Cosmonauts to return to Earth.
    Aaagh! Writer's dilemma!

I want this to be our first steps, our first experience of something new under unfamiliar conditions. Hence why I've given a 2 year time frame. But to move that fast it seems to me I need a more immediately urgent objective than rescuing a few individuals. Something that drives the governments of the world to dedicate large resources, effort, and personnel to this particular mission ASAP. Something like capturing or destroying a specific, strategically important target. Something perhaps world threatening or world saving.

I could use some inspiration. Any thoughts?

ADDED: This was one of the first things to pop up on Google: https://www.popsci.com/smart-rifle-s...-can-be-hacked
    They've made guns that shoot around corners for a long time. The oldest ones were guns with curved barrels. I don't think I would trust that. I have seen a couple where a camera and the entire firing mechanism folds so all of the important bit are around the corner. It works when not folded too. It looked like a very long FN P9.

The rifle in the link above is a sniper rifle/elephant gun. I would think the autoaim tech is doable on a day to day basis, but being attached to a massive rifle might indicate it doesn't' do well with multiple shots. I would think that it's a mere engineering issue, where the gun could be designed to put a spread of bullets in a pattern on a target. It doesn't make sense to make an automatic weapon with autoaim, exactly what would you be killing? Vampires?

The canceled XM25 had a bunch of systems to create rather ingenious engagement scenarios. You could aim the weapon at a wall with a door or window, and then set a delay. The delay would allow the slug to pass through the door, window or opening and then detonate on the other side, striking people at 90 degree angles to the bullet's path. It's a heavy gun, 14 lbs empty.

The designers envisioned a scenario where the explosive charge would detonate the tip of the bullet, stunning instead of killing the target. I don't know about that plan... because the same round used for killing someone is used to stun someone. They do have other rubber bullets, so it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense. One goof and you spray people with deadly fire or another goof renders your weapon less than effective.

I do like the design look of it, but it looks way too bulky and heavy. The optics are 2x, which seems rather wimpy for all the mass on the top of the gun. It is a combination gun/grenade launcher. Grenade launchers are awesome until you realize how heavy they make the gun. At some point you run out of ammo and want to be rid of it. You can't do that with this gun. At least this design is sleek, you don't have the issue of a big can mounted under the barrel to catch on clothes and bushes.
    Solfe

The action will take place, among other locations, in vacuum. So space suits, which are made of rugged materials, which means armor piercing ammo all around.

Not an easy thing to do.
    A ships captain in the RN is not appointed by any one individual admiral and an individual admiral couldn't relieve a captain of command without a very good reason and not until after a board of enquiry.

If an admiral tried to remove a captain who wouldn't let the admiral interfere in the captains running of the ship then that admiral would be in for a very big fizzer from the Admiralty.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

The action will take place, among other locations, in vacuum. So space suits, which are made of rugged materials, which means armor piercing ammo all around.
    Spacesuits are not necessarily made entirely of rugged materials. They don't have to provide a gas-tight environment over the body's entire surface. Elasticity in the suit's materials can be used instead of air to provide pressure on the skin.

See, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit and https://newatlas.com/mit-shrink-wrap-spacesuit/33866/

Of course, the suits worn by "space warriors" are likely to be armored and include motion assistance.
    Selden

With the SAS the unsolved problems are the neck seals, and the gloves. So far a MCP suit has been like fusion power: it's been only a few years away since the 1960s.

Meh. My aliens are oxygen breathers, I'll handwave something out of their life support tech.

When all else fails, A Wizard Did It.

Getting into a long wear MCP suit must be interesting. It has to be like donning a zipperless wetsuit, but with catheters.

That neck dam, though. I'm going to have to have my characters put a sealant on their skins to keep it airtight! Pass the shaving razor, please.

When all else fails, A Wizard Did It.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    --- A.C. Clarke, 1973

but if you're trying to write "hard" science fiction, you need to keep close to something that can be derived from current knowledge.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    --- A.C. Clarke, 1973

but if you're trying to write "hard" science fiction, you need to keep close to something that can be derived from current knowledge.
    I don't plan on anything physically impossible. Just advanced stuff extrapolated from what we already have. A space suit that can be worn longer than our current ones, and allows easier dressing and more freedom of movement, is my goal here.

ADDED: The only implausible part is the idea that we can adapt a human rated suit out of alien life support tech. I've got a handwave for why that's possible too, but it's less satisfying than I'd like. Wah wah wah, listen to me complain.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Oct-14 at 07:04 PM.

I want this to be our first steps, our first experience of something new under unfamiliar conditions. Hence why I've given a 2 year time frame. But to move that fast it seems to me I need a more immediately urgent objective than rescuing a few individuals. Something that drives the governments of the world to dedicate large resources, effort, and personnel to this particular mission ASAP. Something like capturing or destroying a specific, strategically important target. Something perhaps world threatening or world saving.

I could use some inspiration. Any thoughts?
    I will need to focus on this aspect. Existential threats to humanity have to exist, more complex than a Dino Killer. Options for a military expedition to a topopolis could include getting a counter-goo for Grey Goo, destroying a rogue AI, rescuing allies, retrieving a strategic weapon, keys to the Wormhole Network, etc.

MacGuffin X.

I could go with curing a plague but Crusade, the Babylon 5 sequel series, already ruined that for all time.

I came up with the motivating MacGuffin. Better yet, I was able to tie it in to the rest of the plot and the main character.

Ha, had to do a character rewrite, because the main character needs someone to casually exposit to. And I just recognized that a troop transport would have a surplus of troops to keep busy, and not an actual ship's crew member with free time. So Spacer First Class turns into a Lance Corporal. And a guard/watcher rather than a "batman".

Presumably there'll be rookies who have to be initiated into the various tight-knit on-board societies, including the equivalent of a hunt for a left-handed moebius wrench....
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    Presumably there'll be rookies who have to be initiated into the various tight-knit on-board societies, including the equivalent of a hunt for a left-handed moebius wrench....
    This particular crew has been training together for a couple of years. In a way they're more like a very big astronaut team or Shuttle crew. They've all gotten to know each other. Even the Marines are a select and well integrated unit.