Thread: Black holes squishing Earth

Black holes squishing Earth

This thread sparked a thought in me.
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...-destroy-earth
    I didn't think it was appropriate to sully that thread with my thoughts, but it's up to the mods if they want to merge them.

Bear with me, I haven't quite formed the question thoroughly.

Surely, the idea of a particle accelerator creating a tiny black hole that could grow to swallow the Earth would violate the law of conservation of energy.

Whatever object was created would only have as much energy in it as was supplied. I mean, you can't have a free lunch here.

An atom bomb brings atoms together that already have energy in the form of bonds that hold the heavy elements together; all the bomb is doing is releasing that energy.

Where would a tiny black hole get the energy to destroy the Earth?

Does any mass exist in a state of instability on one side of an "energy hill", and all we have to do is just crush it enough to release that inherent energy?

The universe can make black holes easily enough because it is effectively an open system; there is always enough energy, and occasionally a whole bunch of it can end up in one place.

A tiny black hole, should one be able to destroy the Earth in the first place, would destroy it using the Earth's own potential energy - the entire substance of the Earth would slowly slide down a potential gradient and across the black hole's event horizon. (I'm mixing Newtonian and GR views of "energy" there, but I don't think in a harmful way.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    A tiny black hole, should one be able to destroy the Earth in the first place, would destroy it using the Earth's own potential energy - the entire substance of the Earth would slowly slide down a potential gradient and across the black hole's event horizon. (I'm mixing Newtonian and GR views of "energy" there, but I don't think in a harmful way.)

Grant Hutchison
    Yeah. So the energy required to do all that work is already present - in the form of gravitational potential energy.
    So my premise is flawed.
    Thanks.