Thread: Everyones science.

Everyones science.

Is there a list of all citizen science projects going at the moment. Or Zooniverse. I would like to suggest looking for Oort cloud objects using star trailing on an array of largist scopes on a mountaintop. Hundred of thousands of images would be needed I expect but get a few and you have some statistics!

Zooniverse and Cosmoquest would be the largest single collections of astronomically-relevant projects at the moment. I lose track of even the Zooniverse astro projects as they come and go.

So far, occultation searches for Oort-cloud objects have been most stringent using X-ray archival data, because most of them are expected to be such brief events that the high time resolution makes even Kepler short-cadence data much less sensitive. There was also a re-analysis of the HST fine guidance sensor engineering data because they record the stellar intensity at a high rate - IIRC a single candidate event turn up.

There is Penguin Watch at Zooniverse. I like that one, I've tried it in my classroom before. Tag penguins, chicks and eggs.
    Solfe

I would imagine the KEPLER has to integrate for many seconds to obtain accurate data for its function. The one second or less occultations I expect would show on star trail images of one or two minutes accross the image. This means a small field of course. And could there be a small gravitational lens effect to complicate things? Micro or Nano second deflections might still focus at half a light year. 96 C14s in an array with cameras would still cost less than a satellite!

Penguins??

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Penguins??
    What's wrong with penguins? It's fun.
    Solfe

Incidentally I would also suggest home astronomers might do occultation searches with their c14s pointed at the zenith at midnight for an hour or two. You never know!