Thread: Doctor Who - #13

Doctor Who - #13

The latest regeneration of Doctor Who premiered Sunday. As is probably very well known, this Doctor is a woman. I had some fears as to how well this would play out, but Jodie Whitaker absolutely nailed it.

The episode was good, but the real pleasure was watching the new Doctor realizing who she is.
    "Oh, my name's on the tip of my ... What's this thing?" "Tongue?" "Tongue! That's it."
    "You'll have to excuse me. An hour ago I was a white-haired Scotsman."
    "These legs definitely used to be longer."

Love the accent, btw.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I wanted to like the new Doctor but I have to say they've missed a great opportunity.

I thought I was watching a Victoria Wood sketch at some points. And as for the Mork and Mindy costume.....

Perhaps things will improve. I recall Peter Capaldi got off to a shaky start, but towards the end of his service I think he was the best Doctor so far. We live in hope.

I loved it. Some Doctors have taken a while to settle down. Peter Capaldi was annoyingly confused for his entire first episode. But the initial regeneration confusion was handled really well here.

The only things I wasn’t sure about were: Bradley Walsh’s character having had cancer (felt like a slightly cliched intro to a later story where he says “no you go, I’m dying anyway”?). And her chosen outfit - But maybe that’s just because I’m old enough to remember when that look was naff first time round.

I'm thinking I don't want to make too much of the character of the Doctor in the first episode. The writers, the actress, and the character are all still figuring out who she is.

I did find the episode enjoyable, however.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I loved it. Some Doctors have taken a while to settle down. Peter Capaldi was annoyingly confused for his entire first episode. But the initial regeneration confusion was handled really well here.

The only things I wasn’t sure about were: Bradley Walsh’s character having had cancer (felt like a slightly cliched intro to a later story where he says “no you go, I’m dying anyway”?). And her chosen outfit - But maybe that’s just because I’m old enough to remember when that look was naff first time round.
    Yes I do recall that Capaldi was not very good at first. This gives me hope that it will improve.

I have to say though, Capaldi had a certain gravitas which Jodie Whitaker entirely lacks.

It needs a bit of gravitas to stop it slipping completely into comedy.

Having just recently finished up watching all the old "Doctor Who" episodes, I've concluded that Capaldi is my favorite Doctor. I don't know how much of that is simply because he was the first one I regularly watched, so he kind of established the character for me.

I don't expect Whittaker to supplant him, but, like I said, it's early yet.

FWIW, my favorite of the classic Doctors turned out to be Patrick Troughton.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I first became aware of the show as a kid during the Tom Baker years.

In those days there was no cable or VCR. In the US, PBS was the only option, and if you missed an episode, you missed it. I was just the right age to get hooked. It was totally unlike any sci fi on American TV.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Someone texted a short criticism to our local radio show Monday morning. "New woman driver crashes her tardis!" The host said it was sexist! Really! The female co host just sighed. So pleasantly.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Someone texted a short criticism to our local radio show Monday morning. "New woman driver crashes her tardis!" The host said it was sexist! Really! The female co host just sighed. So pleasantly.
    And factually nonsensical. There is no crashing TARDIS in the episode, it having exploded and ejected her right after the regeneration.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    And factually nonsensical. There is no crashing TARDIS in the episode, it having exploded and ejected her right after the regeneration.

CJSF
    Misogynists gonna misog. Even if they have to fudge the facts to do it.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I thought she was fantastic. I'm very excited about this because I have a 6 year old girl who is in love with Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace. She's watched episodes from just about every doctor because my husband is a lifelong fan. We have every single episode on disk that's even been released! So she is just over the moon and I can't wait to continue watching with her. I just hope there aren't constant references to her being a woman now.....

*It's hard to write "doctor" right now, it keeps coming out as "doctober" for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I'm very excited about this because I have a 6 year old girl who is in love with Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace.
    That's encouraging. Those are my two favourite episodes from all series and I am 70. I take your information to indicate I must still be young at heart!

As to the Doctor, passable. It will be interesting to see how she develops the role. I thought the new dress style was an homage to the wardrobe of Peter Davidson's Doctor and as such, I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I thought she was fantastic. I'm very excited about this because I have a 6 year old girl who is in love with Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace. She's watched episodes from just about every doctor because my husband is a lifelong fan. We have every single episode on disk that's even been released! So she is just over the moon and I can't wait to continue watching with her. I just hope there aren't constant references to her being a woman now.....

*It's hard to write "doctor" right now, it keeps coming out as "doctober" for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    That's encouraging. Those are my two favourite episodes from all series and I am 70. I take your information to indicate I must still be young at heart!

As to the Doctor, passable. It will be interesting to see how she develops the role. I thought the new dress style was an homage to the wardrobe of Peter Davidson's Doctor and as such, I liked it.
    And both by Steven Moffat, as are most of the other best episodes of the ninth and tenth Doctors. He sadly seemed to have lost the plot during the Capaldi era.

I liked the new episode in general and the new Doctor very much.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That's encouraging. Those are my two favourite episodes from all series and I am 70.
    Same here. Er, about the two favourite episodes. (Although 70 isn't far off.)
    Last edited by Strange; 2018-Oct-12 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    Yes I do recall that Capaldi was not very good at first. This gives me hope that it will improve.

I have to say though, Capaldi had a certain gravitas which Jodie Whitaker entirely lacks.

It needs a bit of gravitas to stop it slipping completely into comedy.
    Matt Smith (possibly my least favourite Doctor) did not have much gravitas. He was just annoyingly "wacky".

She may not be as serious (old?) as Capaldi's Doctor, but I think she demonstrated the strength of character/will that all Doctors have to call on when they stand up to the threat and say, "You will NOT ...."

Girl finds her mislaid transport! Can happen to anyone.

I noticed something today that I have never seen before. When they (spoiler!) entered the Tardis at the end the writing above the entrance that said "POLICE" was the right way round. If it was the lettering above the entrance it should have been reversed (seen from the other side). Being the right way round could be an error (not likely) or are we seeing the other side of the the police box once inside the Tardis?

I think that is the lettering on the backside of the TARDIS as if they passed thru the entire police box. I guessing last weeks baddie race will be around a lot this season. Forget a crystal skull I want a crystal TARDIS.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Shades of the Peter Davison era, with a bit of Tennant thrown in. I assume there will be trouble aboard the Tardis--the inner corridors ( from ads) seem 80-ish era white.

The EMP she used was actually more irresponsible than the use of the blaster--that might have fried any nice AIs also hiding from combat robots--a real WMD there.

A better point could have been made with a WWII soldier whisked away by accident to Alexandria, where he thought he was doing right by shooting folks trying to burn the library down. The Doctor could then have scolded him rightly, in that althat move did was anger a larger crowd into rash action.

That would be a good last episode for her--being Hypatia.

Forget brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate--Hypatia died not for her gods....but for reason.

That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    The EMP she used was actually more irresponsible than the use of the blaster--that might have fried any nice AIs also hiding from combat robots--a real WMD there.
    I said the same thing. It was almost the equivalent of taking an assault weapon away in a contemporary fracas and then setting off a grenade instead (I have a slightly better analogy somewhere, I swear, but you get my meaning?).

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Regarding the EMP,
    1. The Doctor said the robots should reboot in a few minutes so no permanent damage to them or any friendly AIs.
    2. The planet is trying to kill them so probably no friendly AIs (no evidence of any).
    3. Plot point with neat effects. Move on, move on.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Electro Magnetic Pulse. British members of Parliament are getting uptight about acronyms.

Must admit I like her perky comedy. Caught the end ten minutes of the latest. Too much artistic license with the picture of asteroids close together. If the asteroid belt was that crowded that might be several Jupiter masses I guess. You do the maths!

Three disparate comments:

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Must admit I like her perky comedy. Caught the end ten minutes of the latest. Too much artistic license with the picture of asteroids close together. If the asteroid belt was that crowded that might be several Jupiter masses I guess. You do the maths!
    On the other hand can you recall any SF production that showed a realistic asteroid belt? Given that any realistic view would be of a single asteroid.

As to the theme of the program, my son observed it was disrespectful to the civil rights movement in that it implied that stopping Rosa Parks from refusing to give up her bus seat would have scuppered the entire movement, whereas the reality if if it had not been Rosa it would have been someone else. The time was right. (The time was overdue.)

I'm now fully adjusted to the Doctor being a woman. I can't quite remember that a long time ago he was a man.

On the other hand can you recall any SF production that showed a realistic asteroid belt? Given that any realistic view would be of a single asteroid.
    The Expanse?

As to the theme of the program, my son observed it was disrespectful to the civil rights movement in that it implied that stopping Rosa Parks from refusing to give up her bus seat would have scuppered the entire movement, whereas the reality if if it had not been Rosa it would have been someone else. The time was right. (The time was overdue.)
    No disrespect to Rosa Parks, but absolutely correct.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I think the moment would have been more poignant if it had been a single asteroid, hanging in that void. No stars either.

I had mixed feelings about the episode. Clearly, the subject matter was topical. And I have no doubt the depictions of abuse and Racism were portrayed accurately. It was uncomfortable (as I am sure it was intended). But the episode was half exposition, and heavy-handed at that. I assume it's because the writers wanted to take it head-on, and Brits might be less versed in the events than U.S. Americans. I can accept that. Otherwise, I thought it was done well and you can't escape the emotions that it evoked. The events portrayed aren't just history - they are current events. Some of the same people and their direct political (and in some cases familial) lineages are still in power now from back then. The same people oppressed then are now. As Ryan said, it'll get (it is) better. Not perfect. Better, in general.

CJSF

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I also can't shake the notion that the super-villains for this Doctor are going to be time travelling white-supremacist terrorists.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Three disparate comments:

I'm now fully adjusted to the Doctor being a woman. I can't quite remember that a long time ago he was a man.
    At times, it slid over into Three Stooges-style plotting.

"Larry, you get more bald guys on the bus! Curley, you put glue on the road! Me, I'll distract the driver."
    And somehow it works.

if if it had not been Rosa it would have been someone else.

People forgot all about Claudette Colvin also of Montgomery

Same here. Nice opportunity to infiltrate the Sisterhood of Karn.

If all the Time Lords had been male, a counterpart to the Karn, having the new Doctor be the bridge between them would have been interesting.