Thread: USGS Volcanic Hazards Update

USGS Volcanic Hazards Update

The United States Geological Survey has released its latest assessment of volcano hazards. The last update was in 2005.

The top hazards, considered 'very high risk', haven't changed although their order may have. The Pacific Northwest is home to many of them, including some in my backyard: the Three Sisters and Newberry. Mt St Helens and Mt St Rainier continue to top the PNW list. Kilauea in Hawaii is the overall biggest volcano hazard in the US.

https://www.sciencealert.com/us-geol...nt-2018-update

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/sir20185140

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...s-yellowstone/

Many friends in the Seattle area, not looking forward to Mt. Rainier even warming up.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Mt. Rainier, actually, is a trivial threat compared to the Cascadia Subduction Zone. The last major event took place at about 21:00 Pacific Time on January 26, 1700 (NS), which we know due to contemporary Japanese records of the resulting tsunami. The next one will probably cause thousands of deaths.

Then again, Mt Rainier is not trivial if you live in Orting, WA, which is built on a nice flat valley floor. Nice and flat because of past inundations by multiple feet of steaming mud.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Mt. Rainier, actually, is a trivial threat compared to the Cascadia Subduction Zone. The last major event took place at about 21:00 Pacific Time on January 26, 1700 (NS), which we know due to contemporary Japanese records of the resulting tsunami. The next one will probably cause thousands of deaths.

Then again, Mt Rainier is not trivial if you live in Orting, WA, which is built on a nice flat valley floor. Nice and flat because of past inundations by multiple feet of steaming mud.
    Perhaps, but the USGS assessment is for volcanic hazards, not earthquakes or tsunamis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Not just the Japanese records— there are also oral histories of the earthquake and tsunami among the local Native Americans and I believe some destroyed villages have been found archaeologically.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I used to worry a lot more about Rainier when my best friend regularly drove between Yelm and Olympia. Both cities are relatively safe from an eruption, but there's area between the two that's going to be in trouble from lahar.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The lahar is exactly the trouble I'm worried about. I used to work for TSR, Inc., the D&D game company, in Lake Geneva WI. It was bought out by Wizards of the Coast and moved to Renton, WA, then bought out again by Hasbro Inc. I did not go with the rest of the company to Renton, going to Louisville KY instead. So nearly all my work friends from my TSR days (1983-1995) are there. I was a telecommuter but finally let go by Hasbro in Dec 2000.

Don't want anything bad to happen there.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The lahar is exactly the trouble I'm worried about. I used to work for TSR, Inc., the D&D game company, in Lake Geneva WI. It was bought out by Wizards of the Coast and moved to Renton, WA, then bought out again by Hasbro Inc. I did not go with the rest of the company to Renton, going to Louisville KY instead. So nearly all my work friends from my TSR days (1983-1995) are there. I was a telecommuter but finally let go by Hasbro in Dec 2000.

It’s really cool that you worked there, though!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Perhaps, but the USGS assessment is for volcanic hazards, not earthquakes or tsunamis.
    Of course, sorry for the digression.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Not just the Japanese records— there are also oral histories of the earthquake and tsunami among the local Native Americans and I believe some destroyed villages have been found archaeologically.
    And tree rings. It's those that narrowed it to about 1700 so the Japanese records could be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

The second floor of that building in Renton is, or at least used to be, occupied by the Federal Aviation Administration. When I worked for Boeing I was occasionally summoned to meetings at "The Wizards Building" regarding some safety or certification issue. I'd have to do more research, but I think that Renton may be safer than it once was due to a river changing course (human caused) around a hundred years ago. To the detriment of Puyallup.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.