Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWF Study on animal declines

As a commercial fisherman I worry about the Ocean. I fish in Bristol Bay Alaska for salmon and I have noticed that run timing recently is far more variable than in past seasons. It used to be fairly regular with the "peak" of the run occurring within a few days of July fourth. Lately that peak has varied by up to two weeks early or late. The salmon have been decreasing in overall weight and length as well. Increasing ocean acidification is one factor thought to be causing this change as the salmon are forced into utilizing different food sources since the krill they normally feed on are decreasing in numbers. I suspect that the increased variability in run timing is caused by ocean changes affecting the salmons food sources and migratory patterns. I hear of many ocean species being affected by overfishing, pollution, water temperature increases, and ocean acidification which reduces the ability to create shells and chiton. I suspect life in the oceans is suffering on a level close to that occurring on land.
    Last edited by Grant Hatch; 2018-Nov-27 at 08:45 PM.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    My friend the fish scientist showed in research that the spawning rate and egg release rate was the integral of temperature and time. so increase or decreased sea surface temperatures will mess up cycles that have evolved over thousands or years. species survived because they had these mechanisma but they cannot adapt to any fast change. The story for fish is alarming if you are a fish eater or fisherman, or ecologist!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Another human facilitated species change is the large snakes in Florida accidentally released from hurricane Andrew in 1992. In just a few short years some species are totally decimated. 99 percent for raccoons. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/burmese...bsn-originals/
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    Another human facilitated species change is the large snakes in Florida accidentally released from hurricane Andrew in 1992. In just a few short years some species are totally decimated. 99 percent for raccoons. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/burmese...bsn-originals/
    And I thought racoons were smart....hopefully with the racoons almost gone the snakes will start eating feral cats I had two kittens at my winter home in Costa Rica a few years ago and noticed a reduction in birds around my "jungle" house in the countryside as they became better and better hunters. The dead birds on the porch were a pretty good clue as well. And YES I fed those darn cats but they kept killing birds and I had to find them a new home.
    Last edited by Grant Hatch; 2018-Nov-28 at 12:14 AM.

Someone did a study on declining bird populations in the world. Biggest cause invasive species, especially ats being the biggest problem. That is ats which would be cats and rats. The least contributor was climate change.

http://datazone.birdlife.org/sowb/ca...d-extinctions-
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

As native/natural species of chickens disappear, modified chickens are booming in number... for human consumption. A weird look at the most common bird in the world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46506184

'Planet of the chickens': How the bird took over the world
    By Helen Briggs, BBC News, 12 December 2018

A study of chicken bones dug up at London archaeological sites shows how the bird we know today has altered beyond recognition from its ancestors. With around 23 billion chickens on the planet at any one time, the bird is a symbol of the way we are shaping the environment, say scientists. Evolution usually takes place over a timescale of millions of years, but the chicken has changed much more rapidly. The rise of the supermarket chicken mirrors the decline in wild birds. "The sheer number of chickens is an order of magnitude higher than any other bird species that's alive today," said Dr Carys Bennett, a geologist at the University of Leicester, who led the study. "You could say we are living in the planet of the chickens."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I did find a new study on animal extinction. https://phys.org/news/2019-03-alien-...tinctions.html

Biggest causes of animal extinction are alien or invasive species. Although I disagree with their conclusion that we should try to eliminate the invasive species. Biology and geometric progression is so overwhelming that it is impossible to eradicate invasive species and will cause more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    I did find a new study on animal extinction. https://phys.org/news/2019-03-alien-...tinctions.html

Biggest causes of animal extinction are alien or invasive species. Although I disagree with their conclusion that we should try to eliminate the invasive species. Biology and geometric progression is so overwhelming that it is impossible to eradicate invasive species and will cause more harm than good.
    It depends on the scale - there has been some success with eliminating invasive animal species on some Islands. Goats, pigs, rats, cats, at other animals have been removed from Islands here and there, such as the California Channel Islands, a few of the Galapagos Islands, and some others.

In other ecosystems, invasive plant management can be done in a way that makes an environment somewhat resistant to being totally dominated by invasive plants. Think of roadside weed control for a few years after a large construction project (like a big road construction, or installation of a wind farm or solar thermal station, anything that has a lot of soil disturbance over a wide area), allowing a good community of native species to get established first. Invasive species might be present in that ecosystem, but will be less likely to totally dominate it, whereas without initial control the road shoulders might end up being nothing but invasive species.

With invasive plant management at least, there is more and more of a push to just avoid non-native mono-cultures and to try to just ensure that non-natives become one of many plant species co-existing in an environment. Bio-control holds some pretty good promise there, even for some of the most widespread invasives like cheatgrass and red brome.

Another reason for species extinction. https://phys.org/news/2019-04-scient...mphibians.html
    Scientists warn of pandemic endangering amphibians

New UN report

NY Times

Humans are transforming Earth’s natural landscapes so dramatically that as many as one million plant and animal species are now at risk of extinction, posing a dire threat to ecosystems that people all over the world depend on for their survival, a sweeping new United Nations assessment has concluded.

The 1,500-page report, compiled by hundreds of international experts and based on thousands of scientific studies, is the most exhaustive look yet at the decline in biodiversity across the globe and the dangers that creates for human civilization. A summary of its findings, which was approved by representatives from the United States and 131 other countries, was released Monday in Paris. The full report is set to be published this year.

Its conclusions are stark. In most major land habitats, from the savannas of Africa to the rain forests of South America, the average abundance of native plant and animal life has fallen by 20 percent or more, mainly over the past century. With the human population passing 7 billion, activities like farming, logging, poaching, fishing and mining are altering the natural world at a rate “unprecedented in human history.”

At the same time, a new threat has emerged: Global warming has become a major driver of wildlife decline, the assessment found, by shifting or shrinking the local climates that many mammals, birds, insects, fish and plants evolved to survive in.
    Link to the report's website
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have climate-change & sixth-extinction burnout. Very few people known to me personally believe in either of those, so the topic is never discussed.

Cats, I can talk about all day long. But nothing important. At least I'm calmer talking about cats.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Another species under threat, or will this help clear ferral pigs. https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hc...r-3938022.html