Thread: Good short story in Analog

Good short story in Analog

Excellent short story in Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact for Nov-Dec 2018.
    Body Drift by Cynthia Ward.
    It is a Homage to Frederik Pohl's "Day Million".

BTW, what day is "Day Million" (where Day One is Jan 1, 1 AD)? I am pretty sure it is in the 28th Century.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

27 November 2738.
    Easy to find if you use a Julian Date converter.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Of course, although that provides the correct Julian day, determining the correct Gregorian date is another matter entirely if intervening leap days are to be included.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    Of course, although that provides the correct Julian day, determining the correct Gregorian date is another matter entirely if intervening leap days are to be included.
    Use the USNO converter I linked to to find the Julian Day corresponding to 1 Jan 1AD (1721423.5). Add a million. Use the converter again to find the Gregorian date corresponding to that Julian Day (2721423.5). The leap years (and leap centuries) are correctly taken into account, as is the Julian/Gregorian calendar transition.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Nov-02 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added JDs
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Thanks, Grant.
    I thought Julian Date was from Jan 1, 4713 BC or something like that, though, or I would have tried looking that up.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Thanks, Grant.
    I thought Julian Date was from Jan 1, 4713 BC or something like that, though, or I would have tried looking that up.
    Yes, the Julian Day count starts on 1 Jan 4713 BC. That's why you have to find out what the Julian Day Number of 1 Jan 1 AD is, and then add a million to the count.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Use the USNO converter I linked to to find the Julian Day corresponding to 1 Jan 1AD (1721423.5). Add a million. Use the converter again to find the Gregorian date corresponding to that Julian Day (2721423.5). The leap years (and leap centuries) are correctly taken into account, as is the Julian/Gregorian calendar transition.

Grant Hutchison
    OP said 1 Jan 1AD is Day 1. To find day 1 million, you need to add only 999,999 days.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    OP said 1 Jan 1AD is Day 1. To find day 1 million, you need to add only 999,999 days.
    O no, that's a Saturday! I'm supposed to paint the house that day.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Ah-ha, yes. Thanks.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: