Thread: Trivia: the only shooting battle between business corporations in North America

Talking Trivia: the only shooting battle between business corporations in North America

Name the only armed battle fought in North America between rival business corporations. (There were casualties.) Also give the location, the date, and the two businesses that shot it out.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Business organizations shoot out all the time, they're just in illegal businesses.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Business organizations shoot out all the time, they're just in illegal businesses.
    Not criminal organizations. No drugs involved.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

I’ll be the one to make the inevitable joke of asking if it was Microsoft vs. Apple.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’ll be the one to make the inevitable joke of asking if it was Microsoft vs. Apple.
    Mmm, let's say you would need a time machine to see it first-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Mmm, let's say you would need a time machine to see it first-hand.
    And you would need to live north of the continental United States.

Okay, just discovered that the question was not properly phrased and includes an inaccuracy of the type that I so dislike in trivia games, so I will answer this one.

The only actual war fought between two rival business corporations in North America was the Pemmican War (c.1814-1821), fought in Canada between the Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company. There were a number of armed skirmishes in which no one was reported injured or killed, but there was one significant battle in which a number of men were killed and injured: the Battle of Seven Oaks.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....-oaks-incident
    "The Battle of Seven Oaks, or the Victory of the Frog Plain (la Victoire de la Grenouillère), took place 19 June 1816. The battle was a culmination of the Pemmican Wars and the escalating fur trade disputes between the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) and the North West Company (NWC). Pemmican was the food supply that the fur traders depended on to carry out operations. On the day of the battle, a party of about 60 Métis and First Nations men, led by Cuthbert Grant, was heading west of the Forks to deliver pemmican to the NWC canoe brigades on Lake Winnipeg. They were confronted at Seven Oaks by HBC Governor Robert Semple and 28 men (mostly HBC officers and employees). The gunfire and hand-to-hand combat that resulted left Semple and 20 of the HBC party dead. On the Métis side, 16-year-old Joseph Letendre died, and Joseph Trottier was wounded."

I will mull over how to better reword the question. At least you know that there was an actual war fought between rival corporations in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican_War
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Nov-03 at 02:33 PM.