Thread: Gmail, and thier 'Undo' feature.

Gmail, and thier 'Undo' feature.

I think this feature allows you to cancel the sending of an email once you have sent it.(I'm pretty sure this is what it does, and I know that Gmail did introduce this system as a plug-in a short while ago. But I'm not going to use it even just to test it.)

I think this is a kind of revisionism.

To me, once you have sent an email, you have sent it, then end

I did send some feedback to Google about this and suggested a sort of 'delayed send' option, whereby you submit an email to be sent, at a later time, say in ten minutes time, at which point the system would send it, and up until that point, the sending could be cancelled. This is more akin to writing a letter and putting it somewhere to be later posted, giving you the time to decide if it should be posted, or perhaps just binned.

This seems like a better option to me, and not quite the same revisionism, in that the email hasn't actually been sent, or at least appear to have been sent.

Apart from the horrible revisionism aspect, there is danger in their present system, in that it only gives you a few seconds to change your mind, and in that time an email, perhaps to someone's boss, perhaps sent in a state of inebriation with the intention of cancelling, might not get cancelled. The person may be distracted for example.

Anyway, I don't really like being roped into this kind of thing. But Gmail is a good email system, and I will keep using it.

Anyone else feel similarly about this feature?
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    I did send some feedback to Google about this and suggested a sort of 'delayed send' option
    I assume that is how it works. After all, by the time an email is delivered Google can't remove it from my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I assume that is how it works. After all, by the time an email is delivered Google can't remove it from my computer.
    oh yes, I know that is how it presently works anyway....the real difference is someone would be able to opt in for a 10minute delay, if someone wanted to.
    At present it does it automatically, and the time someone has to cancel the send is measured in a few seconds.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

To me, once you have sent an email, you have sent it, then end
    I think that’s obvious. Once you have sent an email and the other person has received it, there is no way that anybody—gmail included—can take it back. If the email has been delivered, then end of story. Unless Google has memory(I mean human memory) rewriting devices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I think that’s obvious. Once you have sent an email and the other person has received it, there is no way that anybody—gmail included—can take it back. If the email has been delivered, then end of story. Unless Google has memory(I mean human memory) rewriting devices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes, I mean, once I have clicked on 'send', I want that to be the end of it. I don't want to be shown an 'undo' button..I don't even really want to have to even slightly consider 'undo'ing a send...Usually if I regret sending an email it would be more like quarter of an hour later or more. I think this undo feature that disappears after a few seconds is for those people who want to give someone a piece of their mind, and know that they are quite likely to click on 'undo', before they even click on 'send'....that sort of thing doesn't seem to me to be the kind of think that Gmail should be catering to really; that's not what email systems are for, is it.?

I think Gmail could offer a system whereby your email would get deposited in the Gmail system, and only sends a link, to that message, in the email....or something like this; and that would give the sender limitless time to delete the email within the Gmail system...if that's what some people would really like.
    Formerly Frog march.

On my desktop pc it appears to give me only about 10 seconds not 10 minutes to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    On my desktop pc it appears to give me only about 10 seconds not 10 minutes to change my mind.
    yes I know.

I don't have that much influence at Google HQ...

Still maybe they will change it one day.
    Formerly Frog march.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I started using it and at ten seconds, it has a use when you forgot to add the attachment you promised or want to add more people. So I regard it as one of the more useful things. Ads that reflect what i yesterday searched on ebay are irritating.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

yes, I mean, once I have clicked on 'send', I want that to be the end of it.
    If you want it to be the end of it, it is the end of it. It's not like they're bullying you into sending and retracting emails.
    But I've occasionally clicked Send when I haven't quite completed my email, and realized the problem just as I was completing the click. Not a rant, not giving people a piece of my mind, just doing routine stuff without due care and attention, and it was a pain and slightly embarrassing to send a follow-up email a couple of minutes later. So the facility might be of use to me if I didn't hate Gmail so much I avoid its web interface like the plague.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

In business (mostly on Outlook) I've seen email recall used largely for mundane reasons. The flawed emails were nothing salacious but were often an announcement sent to the wrong distribution list or at the wrong time (or both).

After the original email hit the inbox we'd shortly see another note that said "So and so would like to recall the email of subject XYZ." And sometimes the recall note would include the admonishment not to read said email. Yeah, right.

yes, I mean, once I have clicked on 'send', I want that to be the end of it. I don't want to be shown an 'undo' button..I don't even really want to have to even slightly consider 'undo'ing a send...
    I don't quite get why you care.
    If this feature isn't for you then you won't use it. Does it offend you to have the option?

I did send some feedback to Google about this and suggested a sort of 'delayed send' option, whereby you submit an email to be sent, at a later time, say in ten minutes time, at which point the system would send it, and up until that point, the sending could be cancelled. This is more akin to writing a letter and putting it somewhere to be later posted, giving you the time to decide if it should be posted, or perhaps just binned.

This seems like a better option to me, and not quite the same revisionism, in that the email hasn't actually been sent, or at least appear to have been sent.
    How it actually does it is not relevant to the user. The user is given a mental model - a paradigm - of how emails are sent. As long as the user understands that an email can be stopped before it gets to the recipient, the technical details of where that email lives for the 10 minute limbo are irrelevant.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Nov-05 at 06:21 PM.

I wish Facebook had that option, maybe a ten hour delay for some messages.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I wish Facebook had that option, maybe a ten hour delay for some messages.
    But you can edit or delete FB posts. No revisionism rules on that platform!

If you send an email to another Gmail user and it hasn't been read, maybe Google could still delete it no matter how long ago you sent it. In the early 1980s I used an email service like that.

In my gmail platform through work (a University) we have to enable the undo setting. It is not automatic unless you know it's there and choose to use it. You can choose between 5, 10, 20, or 30 seconds. I have 20 seconds selected. It's a good buffer for me to think, "oh no, did I reply all or only to the sender" and go back to check that I did what I intended, or to make one last proofing when I thought I sent the response too quickly. I catch quite a few errors that way.

So I was curious about the OP, which had the "roped in" statement that made it seem like it was enabled by default. I also use gmail for my personal accounts and I looked at the settings there. It turns out, that there is no option to enable or disable it. It's automatically enabled, and your only choice is to undo after 5, 10, 20, or 30 seconds.

To be honest, I didn't even know I had undo "enabled" in my personal account. It's set at 5 seconds. The option to undo shows up in the bottom left side of the screen, and I have been overlooking that. I have no idea how long I've had this option. I know gmail makes changes quite frequently, and recently went through a significant overhaul. So it could be new with that, or I could have had it for years.

So, I think it's overall a good feature. Either you make use of it, or you ignore it and after 5-30 seconds, the option goes away. In fact, if you click away from the sent message, and onto any other label or message in less than your selected amount of time, you lose the undo function.

Today I had the strangest thing in Outlook (the desktop application).

-a colleague sends a question at 8AM
    -I send an answer at 10AM, so my reply mail looks like My_Answer|Her_Original_Question in terms of content (her mail below my reply, with a line separating the two like Outlook does).
    -She doesn't get the mail from me, so calls me at noon asking to respond.
    -In my archive I have my Answer|Question mail which I forward to her, as to send it again.

Now the weird part:
    -what she receives at noon is not a mail with content Forward|Answer|Question as you'd expect, but Forward|Question. What is in my 'sent items' for noon is also Forward|Question. And the Answer|Question mail in my archive: gone! So somehow Outlook decided my Answer mail never existed and removed it even from mails that have it embedded in their communication chain. I didn't even know that would be technically possible, I thought Outlook considered the entire communication chain as a single, unique mail instead of a compilation of individual items.