Thread: Remote-controlled dogs. SCIENCE!

Exclamation Remote-controlled dogs. SCIENCE!

No, seriously, remote-controlled dogs. In a good way.

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-11-...cial-vest.html

This way, that-away: Researchers give dog special vest with lights to tell it where to go

by Nancy Owano , Tech Xplore

"Remote-controlled dog" were the three words lighting up Tuesday's tech headlines, and by the looks of it one was easily assuming this was yet another cute robot giving off puppy vibes for the elderly and children to enjoy. But no, this is all about "canine motion control," a topic responding to a robotics challenge. The subject of the experiment was not a machine but a real dog equipped with a wearable to take it places, like having its own GPS.

Gizmodo's Andrew Lizsewski wrote about the team from Japan who wanted to see what happens with a "wearable vest covered in flashlights that create targeted dots of light to direct a pup's movements."

"Canine motion control using on-suit light sources" is the title of the video posted Nov. 2. The video was posted by Tohoku University.

The Japan-based researchers' design is such that an operator can navigate dogs to different goal positions, by changing the direction of spot lights on the dogs' suits. As Popular Mechanics observed, "The dotted lights are just like plot points on a map."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

So not so much controlled, just trained.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    So not so much controlled, just trained.
    And I'm positive that training would go out the window the instant the canine subject spotted a squirrel or heard a potato chip bag being opened within 100 yards.

Heh. It might even work with a cat using a laser pointer on a servo.

(When I opened the thread I expected it would be one of those electrode in brain things, but I agree this definitely sounds more like "trained" than "controlled.")

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It really just seems like a way to give commands at a distance. An ear piece might do just as well.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

You'll notice it's dogs, not cats.
    Although I did used to be able to control our cats with an electromechanical device. It was an electric can opener.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.