Thread: Are continents getting bigger?

Are continents getting bigger?

I read once that billions of years ago the only land was the island continent of Vaalbara.
    If so, does that mean the Earth’s land area is increasing?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

These are normally described as supercontinents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercontinent

They contain all the landmasses "pushed together". I don't know if the total land area has changed much, though.

As sea levels rise I suspect they'll be getting smaller.

From the University of Puerto Rico

Table 1. Distribution of land areas of Earth in the last 750 million years. The global land coverage varied little within 10 to 30%, however, there where large transitions from South to North (Late Triassic, 220 Mya) and from East to West (Early Devonian, 400 Mya). Also, note the extreme clustering of over 95% of the land areas in one side of the planet (MFA) during Pangea (Middle Triassic, 240 Mya) and Rodinia (Precambrian, 750 Mya).
    The table gives the percent land mass and ocean over time, as well as distribution, such as between the northern hemisphere and the southern.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

From the perspective of the amount of continental crust vs oceanic crust, I would think the continents are getting bigger. Continental crust does not readily subduct so once formed, it tends to hang around. The oceanic crust gets recycled. Meanwhile, volcanic arcs are producing more continental crust. However, sea-level variation tends to flood or expose continents, and I think that accounts for the numbers in Swift's link above.

Continental crust erodes faster, doesn't it?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    From the University of Puerto Rico

The table gives the percent land mass and ocean over time, as well as distribution, such as between the northern hemisphere and the southern.
    Surprising that 10 to 30 percent is called little. If we lost 5 percent of Florida, I would call that significant.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Continental crust erodes faster, doesn't it?
    Quite a bit faster. But the sediment that reaches the ocean forms the continental shelves, which are still part of the continental crust and not susceptible to subduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I read once that billions of years ago the only land was the island continent of Vaalbara.
    If so, does that mean the Earth’s land area is increasing?
    I will hazard a guess that land area is not currently increasing, if by "land area" we are talking continental crustal plates. Billions of years ago the crust was being formed from solidified magma/lava, so I can see crustal plates forming up to a limit, then stopping.

So, no, except for ocean levels going up and down, no more continental crustal plate increases.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Here's an article that discusses continental growth. The authors suggest that the bulk of the continental crust had been formed 3 billion years ago and the rate of growth has slowed since then. It's certainly not zero, though.

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.o.../2132/20170403