Thread: Social media use causes depression... but NOT CosmoQuestX !

Wink Social media use causes depression... but NOT CosmoQuestX !

CosmoQuest X is the SAFE social media for science, technology, engineering, and math workers, particularly astronomers. Use CosmoQuest X !

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...oneliness.html

Social media use increases depression and loneliness
    November 8, 2018, University of Pennsylvania

"Here's the bottom line," [[Hunt, a researcher]] says. "Using less social media than you normally would leads to significant decreases in both depression and loneliness. These effects are particularly pronounced for folks who were more depressed when they came into the study."

Hunt stresses that the findings do not suggest that 18- to 22-year-olds should stop using social media altogether. In fact, she built the study as she did to stay away from what she considers an unrealistic goal. The work does, however, speak to the idea that limiting screen time on these apps couldn't hurt.

"It is a little ironic that reducing your use of social media actually makes you feel less lonely," she says. But when she digs a little deeper, the findings make sense. "Some of the existing literature on social media suggests there's an enormous amount of social comparison that happens. When you look at other people's lives, particularly on Instagram, it's easy to conclude that everyone else's life is cooler or better than yours."

Because this particular work only looked at Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, it's not clear whether it applies broadly to other social-media platforms. Hunt also hesitates to say that these findings would replicate for other age groups or in different settings. Those are questions she still hopes to answer, including in an upcoming study about the use of dating apps by college students.

Despite those caveats, and although the study didn't determine the optimal time users should spend on these platforms or the best way to use them, Hunt says the findings do offer two related conclusions it couldn't hurt any social-media user to follow.

For one, reduce opportunities for social comparison, she says. "When you're not busy getting sucked into clickbait social media, you're actually spending more time on things that are more likely to make you feel better about your life." Secondly, she adds, because these tools are here to stay, it's incumbent on society to figure out how to use them in a way that limits damaging effects. "In general, I would say, put your phone down and be with the people in your life."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

There's a lot of previous evidence that it depends on what you use your social media time for. Tracking the life styles of the rich and famous, scrolling passively through other people's selfies and meal photographs, or fretting about your "likes" and "unfriendings" tends to induce negative feelings about one's own life; using social media to interact constructively with friends can make one feel more positive.

So no surprises there.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

It's as if it works just like any other form of communication!!!1!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Cosmoquest is surely too old school to be called social media. We were talking with strangers on the Internet before it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It's as if it works just like any other form of communication!!!1!
    With a twist. Because your interactions and clicks are monetized by the provider, the interface is designed to be addictive - they want the user to get a dopamine rush and come back for more. Social media, at its worst, is junk communication, by analogy with junk food - it hyperstimulates our social reflexes in a way the natural world does not.
    I'm far from being the first to point out that society regulates other addictive hyperstimulants that have been around longer - gambling, drugs, food additives - but we're currently conducting an uncontrolled experiment with social media.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm far from being the first to point out that society regulates other addictive hyperstimulants that have been around longer - gambling, drugs, food additives - but we're currently conducting an uncontrolled experiment with social media.
    Socially sanctioned addictive hyperstimulants? Let me think about that while I drink my coffee and watch TV.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Television, of course, is legally regulated in terms of its content and broadcast hours, and there is strong advice for parents about limiting childhood exposure times.
    Caffeine is interesting, but it doesn't produce the potentially addictive dopamine "reward" spike. So despite websites claiming otherwise, there's no clinical entity of caffeine addiction (though the process of caffeine withdrawal can make it feel like there is!). So we don't see people stealing to maintain their coffee habit, or disrupting their relationships with family and friends, or suffering long-term health consequences, or becoming depressed because they can't manage their caffeine habits.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

That some schools and homes in Silicon Valley have switched to low-tech should be an eye-opener.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Socially sanctioned addictive hyperstimulants? Let me think about that while I drink my coffee and watch TV.
    While also drinking coffee, I saw on tv that a European coffeehouse (Cosa?) now requires > 16 years of age to buy their coffee
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    While also drinking coffee, I saw on tv that a European coffeehouse (Cosa?) now requires > 16 years of age to buy their coffee
    And some countries are legislating on the sale of "energy drinks" to children.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: