Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cat Thread

The Cat Thread

The attached picture shows my wife as of ten minutes ago.

With a cat that wandered into her store.

A cat that is coming home with us.

Which will make eight cats instead of seven.

There is no icon to express my horror.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181114_113231477.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	23725  
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

In my part of the world, you'd need to check for a chip before adopting a random cat. Is that a thing in the USA?
    A woman once adopted my brother-in-law's cat (the cat did an excellent impression of a love-starved stray to everyone it met). But as far as he knew, the cat just went out one day and didn't come back - until he got a call months later from a vet, to say that his cat had been brought in for something routine and the chip didn't match the "owner".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The attached picture shows my wife as of ten minutes ago.
    I meant to say: You've only been married ten minutes and she's already adopted a cat? No wonder you're horrified.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In my part of the world, you'd need to check for a chip before adopting a random cat. Is that a thing in the USA? ...
    People are encouraged to have their pets chipped but it's not a legal requirement. Rescue organizations and shelters usually include a chip in the adoption cost. (Spay/Neuter, rabies, microchip, maybe some other vaccinations.)

If you find a stray it can be checked to see if it's been chipped but again it's not a legal requirement. I imagine most vets would look for a chip if you brought in a new pet and said it was a stray.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

We have one cat that is chipped, but the owner is deceased. Should get around to transferring the chip to us (need his obituary, not hard to get), but the cat never goes outdoors if we can help it.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

I meant to say: You've only been married ten minutes and she's already adopted a cat? No wonder you're horrified.
    Life is hard.

You know, Gilbert and Sullivan, in The Pirates of Penzance had a song about this very thing you started here.

Oh come on, you remember the lyrics:

With cat-like thread,
    Upon our prey we steal;
    In silence dread,
    Our cautious way we feel.
    No sound at all,
    We never speak a word,
    A fly’s foot-fall
    Would be distinctly heard

(too obscure... yeah maybe a little too obscure)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    [sounds of profuse weeping]

I had to be away for about a week and a half (getting Younger Son moved and all), and was informed that a friend of his brother was about
    to take the last kitten of a litter to the shelter. My wife asked "let me see the kitten". She fed it and showed it the litter box, which together are legally binding. Behold Shadow, now the smallest and sleekest of 3 black cats in our household. The interactions are complex.

Name:	2018-11-14 12.43.47crop.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	645.5 KB 
ID:	23726  

Further evidence that "survival of the fittest" is not always mind or muscle.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    She fed it and showed it the litter box, which together are legally binding.
    I've said for years, to people who are "just feeding" a stray, if you feed them, they are yours.

Shadow is very cute.

Roger E. Moore, your new cat is very pretty too, but I at least couldn't cope with eight. Two are plenty for us.

Maki keeping my lap warm.

I've said for years, to people who are "just feeding" a stray, if you feed them, they are yours.
    The cat may have other ideas. Someone told a story in New Scientist, years ago, about how his cat had been gaining weight despite receiving the same amount of food per day. So he put a collar on the cat, with a message on a tag that read, "If you are feeding this cat, please phone [this number]." In the next two days he got three phone calls. They're treacherous little sods, cats. And I say that as a cat-liker.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Coping with eight... Just to keep up with seven cats, we got ten litterboxes, eight water bowls, eight food bowls, six scratching posts, and a Christmas/Chanukah tree tired to a hook in the ceiling so it cannot be knocked over. We buy two 35-lb. containers of cat litter every 3 weeks.

And then there's the food.

Sheba seafood double-containers (2.6 oz.) - 72 every 3 weeks

Royal Canin Urinary SO/Diet mix, 17.6 lb. sack - 1 every 3 weeks

Many dozens of Delectables Squeeze-ups in chicken or fish, because Chewy shipped 20 times the amount we ordered, then gave us all of them for nothing.

How much more will we need??????? To be continued.

Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Nov-15 at 12:29 AM. Reason: corrected amounts

Mostly a dog lover we've had a few cats over the years including out own pet now. We got him because the previous owner had to move out of her parents place and into an apartment.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Adorable, of course.

I predict this to be the thread that will live forever. Or at least have nine lives. Let's see, must be a cat pic or three somewhere on the desktop....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basket.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	23728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belly2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	23729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bunny.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	23731

ETA: Hmm, that last attachment that I don't seem to be able to delete is someone else's kitty on our deck.

Name:	exotic.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	23730  
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Wow. At one point I had three adult indoor/outdoor cats and that was plenty to take care of. At this point I have one, and that's still enough.

One unusual thing: For the last 20+ years, my pets have all come from my yard. Two feral females decided my yard was the right place to have kittens. One of them pried open a screen vent to the crawlspace, and we only noticed when we saw kittens running around near the front door. With the second, I was working behind my bedroom and had a cat come up fairly close and hiss at me. When I investigated, I found she had her kittens hidden in a bit of yard clutter. She seemed to be trying to warn me away, but ironically she just alerted me to the presence of her kittens. In both cases, I managed to capture the kittens, but not the mother. (Also captured a skunk - that wasn't fun.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We had the "friendly trapper" come try to catch the raccoon under our house. He used cat food as bait. Guess what he caught. One of them several times.

Our maximum of cats has been four, but I'll use the excuse that my parents had died and their cats hadn't. Previously we had three, which I felt was pushing it, but we took in two Himalayans that came as a set when we already had one. We currently have two, which seems to be the correct number. For us.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

We used to have a Cat Lady at the end of our street. Our bird-feeders had to be defended by a ring of motion-activated ultrasound cat deterents.
    One morning I found a cat collar (with a bell) lying on our lawn. The tag directed me to the Cat Lady's house. I pushed through her overgrown garden, ignored the "No Cold Callers" sign in her window, and knocked on the door. After an age, the door creaked open by an inch, revealing a shock of grey hair and one feverishly bright eye. I proffered the collar, and told the story. The door creaked open another two inches, and she reached a skeletal hand through the gap to take the collar from me.
    "I'm sorry," she whispered. "He's very naughty. I'll have a word with him." And the door creaked closed again.

This cat had unbuckled his collar. So I was pretty sure the "Cat Lady" had actually been killed and skinned some time ago, and was now animated by an acrobatic tower of cats, like the spacesuit full of Moties in The Mote In God's Eye. It's the only logical conclusion.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Cleopatra Jet, our very likely eighth cat. Less than 6 mo old, skinny, eats like a horse and drank water bowl dry, major purr machine.

Name:	IMG_20181114_204827282.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1,003.3 KB 
ID:	23732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181114_204647693.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	887.8 KB 
ID:	23733  

Cleopatra Jet having her first good chow-down. Ate almost a cup of dry food. Amazing tail.

Name:	IMG_20181114_190411195,.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	633.1 KB 
ID:	23734  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_124209.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	701.6 KB 
ID:	23735

Scooter, our adopted cat

My family has never had multiple cats at one time. Too much trouble. Dogs, now, we have 3 dogs today, all well behaved. But my sister has developed a severe allergy to cats, so no more cats for us.

But even if we could, having more than one cat means giving up the illusion that humans are the dominant species in your dwelling.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It would be unfair to leave out Maki's sister, Ginger.

Cleopatra turned out to be a boy. I don't know to sex cats, geez! Nobody else did, either. They don't come with a manufacturer's tag or anything.

So now it's Perseus ("Purr-seus") Jet.

Cute little rodent.

This cat had unbuckled his collar. So I was pretty sure the "Cat Lady" had actually been killed and skinned some time ago, and was now animated by an acrobatic tower of cats, like the spacesuit full of Moties in The Mote In God's Eye. It's the only logical conclusion.
    I've long thought that the idea of genetically engineering cats with functional thumbs could be the basis for a great horror story. They wouldn't need to talk or be exceptionally intelligent, but they could easily act like little gremlins, messing up everything.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Love the cat pix here, beautiful little rugfaces

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Cleopatra turned out to be a boy. I don't know to sex cats, geez! Nobody else did, either. They don't come with a manufacturer's tag or anything.
    My wife's first cat was named Oliver, because the people at the Humane Society told her it was a boy. When she took it to the vet for the first time, the vet informed her the cat was actually a girl. So the name became Olive.

Now, I know nothing about sexing cats, either, but mistakenly identifying a boy as a girl seems to me to make more sense than the other way around.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

When I was a kid we thought our cat was female until we took him to the vet. We didn't need to change the mode of address, however, because he was always just "cat".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

We have a largish (15-16 lb.) silver and white Maine Coon named Sophie Cleese, who was mistakenly sexed as male when we rescued her and was first named Sophocles. She is our biggest cat. Tore me to shreds once when she did not want to be picked up and taken to the vet. Good thing I wore a black t-shirt to hide the blood.

As you can imagine, I am very nice to her now and she likes me and head butts me. We are buds. When I build models, she holds my plans down (unfortunately covering them, but that's life).

But I will never forget what she can do if she's mad.