Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cat Thread

Cougar,

I'm getting a block on the website you linked to (www.fanciers.com) as a "compromised website." It might be old news already corrected at the site, but better safe than sorry. (I did report this, in case it's a real issue that wasn't caught by your anti-virus software.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

About 20 years ago, we were catless. Our beloved Snow White had died. I was actually feeling a little bit relieved at not having to brush the hair off my clothes before work, but my wife was thinking otherwise. She started researching cat breeds and discovered the Ragdoll.
    So anyhow, she wanted to go to a cat show. Ok, I thought, it's just a show. On the way there she started talking about Ragdolls again. "We can't get a cat today", I said, "We don't have a carrier to take it home".

"It's in the trunk."

Oh. It's not whether we're getting a cat today, just which one. She was adorable. We have two other ones now.

Anyhow, I think that was the show at which they were judging the Maine Coon class. The judge lifted up a rather large male. I'd already asked the owner what he weighed, which was like 26 pounds. Putting him down, the judge said "Ok, that's it for today. My back is out."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Oh. It's not whether we're getting a cat today, just which one. She was adorable. We have two other ones now.
    My story isn’t quite the same but it’s in a similar vein. A dozen or so years ago, we had to say goodbye to The Wife’s paranoid orange tabby, Rufus. Perhaps two weeks later, we were in local pet store getting food for Kroger and our remaining cat when we came across a cat rescue group in the back of store, holding an adoption day. Two cats in a shadowed kennel caught my attention with their intense, green eyes.

Now, I was never really a cat person. Not that I disliked them in any way. I liked The Wife’s cats after all. I was just more of a dog person. But I pointed this pair out to my wife and told her I really liked them. She did, too but thought it might be too soon. We talked to the rescue folks and then each other and in the end, she was just too torn, having so recently lost Rufus. And I agreed, if it’s too soon, it’s too soon.

So, I approached the rescue worker and said, “I don’t think we’re going to...” when my wife interjected to ask if we could bring them back if it didn’t work out. That’s the day that Jackson and Abigail came home with us. It didn’t matter that we didn’t have a carrier. They had cardboard carriers.

Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Some months ago our long-time pet succumbed to old age. He was a tiny, days-old orphaned feral cat that someone rescued and we adopted. He survived against the odds, and was a member of the family for 16 years, and was greatly missed.

We had already adopted another young female cat via a pet store program when another tiny feline turned up hungry in our back yard, so, what else could we do? The older cat, though still a kitten herself, accepted her.

Both of these cats seem remarkably intelligent. They can find hundreds of way to play with the simplest objects, learn things quickly, and can obviously read our minds. We’ve gone through a few family crises lately, but the distraction (sometimes rather extreme!) provided by the demands of these two has helped greatly. I once suspected that they might be angels in feline form, sent here for just this purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melissa_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	23752
    Melissa, the younger kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I took this cat to a few cat shows. The judges loved him: Grand Premier* Saga Hot Spot....

Name:	chui2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	23751
    Wow, Bengal or Sanvannah??
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    They appear to be Alaska-prepared, with fur on top of their fur.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

A ninth cat has appeared (oh man) but this one will be an outdoor cat, as we are AT CAPACITY. Just too many cats. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    More to come.
    But I thought you wrote that you were at capacity! (catacity?)

;3
    Last edited by selden; 2018-Nov-21 at 09:29 PM.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    I think you'll find that's spelled catastrophe.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Wow, Bengal or Sanvannah??
    Ocicat. No wildness. Just a housecat. An active breed, though.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    If I ever get to meet anyone from this board in person, you have my permission to slap me. Knock me unconscious. I deserve it.

Ninth cat will have to be an outdoor cat. Looking up how to care for ferals, though this one might not be feral. It let me pet it when I fed it. We've seen it around.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Some months ago our long-time pet succumbed to old age....
    I lost this gorgeous red Abyssinian shortly after he was neutered. Broke my heart! Poor Bobby Redford!

Name:	hig171.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	23753
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think you'll find that's spelled catastrophe.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes

I thought we were at or slightly beyond catpacity with three, and then we wound up with four. The current two are sufficient, thank you very much.

If I ever get to meet anyone from this board in person, you have my permission to slap me. Knock me unconscious. I deserve it.
    We may have to hold an intervention.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We may have to hold an intervention.
    I can quit anytime I want to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geeker.txt.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	23754  

Does your cat's coat and coloration correlate with personality? Is there such a thing as "tortitude"?

Not really, but maybe a little bit, says this study.

https://cloudfront.escholarship.org/...qt4hf2b2st.pdf

The Relationship Between Coat Color and Aggressive Behaviors in the Domestic Cat

Elizabeth A. Stelow, Melissa J. Bain, and Philip H. Kass (2016)

QUOTES: A nonhuman animal’s coat color, once primarily the concern of fanciers and breeders of both companion animals and fur-bearing animals, has become amarker for other characteristics. Whitecoat color has been associated with congenital deafness in dogs, cats, and others; lethal white foal syndrome is found in overo paint horses; and the “cross-eyed” appearance in Siamese cats is associated with partial albinism (Webb & Cullen, 2010). Research has also uncovered a connection between coat color and either affiliative or aggressive behavior in silver foxes, minks, Norway rats, English cocker spaniels, Korean Jindos, and Labrador retrievers.

This study suggests that coat colors may be associated with aggressive behaviors in the cat but that the differences are relatively minor. These findings support some common assumptions about personalities associated with different cat color patterns and help current cat guardians better understand their companion cats. They may also help guardians, potential adopters, veterinarians, and others better anticipate what behaviors they may observe in cats. The subtlety of the results of this study suggests the need for additional research on the topic of the relationship between coat color and aggression to support or refute our findings. Such research may include observational studies, larger guardian surveys, or even examination at the molecular or allelic level for clarification of these findings.

Smile

Here is cat #9, who is outdoors and therefore proof that I can quit cats anytime I want to. Cat has food and water in bowls now, might build a shelter because it is getting cold and cat is about 6 mo old.

Name:	KIMG0513s.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	551.8 KB 
ID:	23755  

Tomorrow morning it's Trap-Neuter-Release time. Going to try to make Rosie Rocket into an outdoor cat fixed on our house for the winter. I will build a shelter for her soon and am feeding and watering her as often as possible. She has a gravelly purr, a muddy-looking tortie (gray and brown) and so small, probably very cold outside so the shelter is a priority. Short-hair, not really a feral cat, probably abandoned/stray. Get her shots and get her fixed. She seems to like me, rubs on my legs all the time and cries at me.

Good thing I am immune to her charms.

Down in front. Hey! DOWN IN FRONT!

Name:	KIMG0521.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	23762  

Down in front. Hey! DOWN IN FRONT!
    It's a lucky thing that the Packers were playing the Vikings rather than the Lions, Panthers, Bengals or Jaguars -- your cat may have resented that.

Little Melissa can fit into one of my (size 13) slippers.

Name:	20181106_115650.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	23763

In honor of Cyber Monday...

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Speaking of cats, why do we call them Smilodons when we aren't even sure if they smiled?

A lot of stories circulate telling of stray cats who walk right up to humans and demand attention (by meowing), thus being adopted through aggressive self-marketing. This happened to us the last three times we rescued cats. One did not even bother getting into the live trap set for her, instead sitting on the front deck next to the trap meowing her tiny head off when we got home. Another walked up to my wife and I at an interstate rest stop, where she had been abandoned (as told by maintenance workers who saw her get dumped weeks earlier), and another one walked straight into my wife's store and let my wife pick him up and carry him around--this being a cat born in the "wild" (parking lot) but probably socialized by apartment dwellers nearby.

Anyone else suckered in by fuzzfaces?

Anyone else suckered in by fuzzfaces?
    Sort of. As I mentioned, I've kept some kittens (and for most of the rest found homes - though I'm afraid I did have to take a couple to a shelter after socializing them for some weeks), but in both cases, the feral mothers were a bit too savvy to be trapped, and were a bit too wild to come to me. I tried feeding both of them, which they'd accept to an extent, but they always kept their distance, and eventually wandered off. I'd been hoping to at least get them fixed, but it was not to be.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Stuff that makes me happy: One of ours was feeling sorry for herself today and decided to purr on my lap. That's not usual, but much appreciated. I hope she'll keep it up.

Stuff that bugs me: Neither of them understands the concept of covering what happens in the litter box. One goes in, scratches around in the litter for a couple of minutes, does her business, and then spends about five minutes scratching on the side of the box, the hood over the box, the mat outside the box, anywhere but in the litter. The other just goes in, does her business, and leaves. Neither of them covers anything.

Our boy, Jackson, was a bit traumatized by the earthquake. Evidently, his new safe space is under the Christmas tree. But my wife said he spent time with on the arm of the recliner until an aftershock hit and as gravitationally-challenge as he is, he jumped straight up...catching impressive air...and went right back under the tree.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Our boy, Jackson, was a bit traumatized by the earthquake. Evidently, his new safe space is under the Christmas tree. But my wife said he spent time with on the arm of the recliner until an aftershock hit and as gravitationally-challenge as he is, he jumped straight up...catching impressive air...and went right back under the tree.
    Glad to hear that you rode out the quake ok - even if the cat was unhappy.

Check out this one from James Herriot's stories about his veterinary practice in Yorkshire.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=__...%20cat&f=false
    Scroll up to p. 149 at the beginning of the chapter. There are a couple of pages missing from this transcript but it is nearly complete. I don't mind saying it brought a few tears to my eyes.