Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Cat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Our boy, Jackson, was a bit traumatized by the earthquake. Evidently, his new safe space is under the Christmas tree. But my wife said he spent time with on the arm of the recliner until an aftershock hit and as gravitationally-challenge as he is, he jumped straight up...catching impressive air...and went right back under the tree.
    Well, isn't that what you are supposed to do in an earthquake, getting under something to protect yourself from falling objects.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Took 3 cats to vet yesterday for routine exam. NOT.

1. Bandit, the tabby alpha male, has pancreatitis and needed shots, change in diet. Pooped and barfed all over the vet's office, but they cleaned it up.
    2. Percy, the black kitten we recently rescued (#8) sneezed his little pea brain out with an upper respiratory infection, got a shot.
    3. Midnight, the deranged black ninja cat, was fine except that he bit the vets when they tried to do his blood work.

Cats are all fine now. Vets have bandages.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Recommend welding gauntlets for delicate handling of cats

I had one cat that really hated to go to the vet. I remember taking him one time where he managed absolutely huge jumps, almost seeming to levitate from the table onto a spot above the cabinets just under the ceiling. I couldn't see any convenient interim jumping points. And once he got up there, he wasn't interested in anyone touching him, including me (despite normally being very friendly - I can't remember any other situation where he would be prone to try to scratch or bite). The vet told me he'd need to be sedated for any future examinations. Luckily, he was a fairly healthy cat until he got up in years, and then he wasn't quite so rambunctious.

My current cat will let the vet do their job without interference. She's very good at the vet, except for wanting to let you know every 30 seconds how unhappy she is, with a pitiful "Mrrow." Actually, she'll let you know the from the minute she is put in the car up until the minute she gets back home.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Is this a dead badger? a miniature yak? a tacky-looking shawl? a cat?

Cinnamon Sundae, asleep as usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181205.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	23801  
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Mrs M unwrapped some Amazon.com order or other, and found it was padded by a huge sheet of brown paper, maybe 3' x 24'.
    She gave that to the cats to play with. The youngest one can go on for an hour at a time, jumping into it, thrashing around in it, losing toys in it, and occasionally ripping it.
    Then again, this one can make a fun toy out of anything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat_x_2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	23822

By the way cat friends, if you have never seen the Cole & Marmalade Cat Logic video, you need to.

I'd send you a picture of one but it would just show a blanket over my legs in the recliner.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It used to be that one of our older cats, Bandit, and I did not get along well, and after numerous confrontations and disagreements, we finally settled our issues and live together quite well.

The solution was, anything and everything that Bandit wants me to do, I do, and everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It used to be that one of our older cats, Bandit, and I did not get along well, and after numerous confrontations and disagreements, we finally settled our issues and live together quite well.

The solution was, anything and everything that Bandit wants me to do, I do, and everything is fine.
    Funny, but that same system also works works with spouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Funny, but that same system also works works with spouses.
    I knew that from day one. Wasn't sure it was the same with cats, but it is.

Speaking of catnip and its magical healing powers...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-patients.html

Researchers find how the plant produces the intoxicating chemical - and say it could be used to help cancer patients
    By Annie Palmer For Dailymail.com Published: 14:34 EST, 10 December 2018 | Updated: 18:57 EST, 10 December 2018

• Catnip contains a chemical, called Nepetalactone, that makes cats go crazy
    • Scientists studied how the plant produces the chemical in a two-step process
    • They hope that the process can be modeled for how other plants synthesize chemicals, such as vincristine and vinblastine, which are used to treat cancer

I'd really like an odd-eyed white Turkish Angora....

Name:	3-1.jpg 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	23845
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I'd actually prefer that people stop intentionally breeding for harmful genetic defects like blue eyes in white cats, which also result in deafness. Sorry.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I'd really like an odd-eyed white Turkish Angora....

Name:	3-1.jpg 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	23845
    I love gold eyes on a black cat.

I've owned three over the years. All pound kitties.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

My wife has been rescuing cats for 15 years, and me for the last 7 with her. They're all mutts.

Our newest ex-stray cat, a female tortie once known as Number Nine but now called Rosie Rockett, went to the vet yesterday. She was clearly terrified, peed in her carrier on the way home, stayed near me, etc. One other thing she did was drool everywhere, big strands of it from her mouth. The vet was concerned Rosie had painful dental issues, and she does have her two upper canines broken off down to the gum level (how did THAT happen?). No sign of infection, though. Also some plaque, but we will get her on the dental plan at Banfield like the other eight cats and she'll be fine.

I was worried to pieces that she was in pain from her broken teeth, but some experimenting showed maybe not. She parades around tail high, meows and purrs all the time, lets me rub the sides of her jaw, head-butts me constantly, chews on her solid food, and so on, appearing to indicate that she is not in a great deal of pain. She even bit me once, when I tried to block her from leaving the room where she's recouperating from surgery. Oddly, the bite did not hurt at the time. It felt like I was being gummed. I realize now she bit me where she once had canines, which did not appear to hurt her.

So, maybe Rosie does not drool out of pain, but only when nervous or frightened. She drooled a bit when we first brought her into the house, but doesn't do it anymore. She drooled yesterday on her first visit to the vet. So... no pain, maybe just anxious?

Anyone else have a cat that drools when scared?

Extra note: Vet gave her opinion that Rosie, whom we pegged at 8 months of age, was probably about 5 years old given the condition of her teeth. Holy cow, we sure missed that one! Got to get dental x-rays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0522.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	23848  
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Dec-13 at 08:29 PM. Reason: pic

We have a cat who drools when she is extremely content. Which means, of course, on whoever is making her content.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We have a cat who drools when she is extremely content. Which means, of course, on whoever is making her content.
    Our girl cat drools a bit but then shakes her head violently after being touched on the head. We've come to expect and prepare for the onslaught of cat spittle, which with her is a Class II toxin.

White female longhair cat (Blizzard) drools when petted, creates a pond beneath her chin all over me.

Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Dec-14 at 05:57 PM. Reason: fix