Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Cat Thread

I remember years ago when having a cat fall asleep on me would put me into a state of ecstasy and wonder. It was precious and beautiful and soooooooooo cute.

Now: "OMG, Midnight's asleep on me and I have to go to the bathroom. OMG, OMG, OMG..."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Just discovered a paper that, I believe, carries the ethical argument WAY too far. My cats are getting catnip, period.

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-unethical-cat-catnip.html

Is it unethical to give your cat catnip?
    December 18, 2018 by Debra Merskin, The Conversation

QUOTE: "As an animal media studies scholar, I argue laughing at a cat who has been given a drug even if they seem happy should raise questions about human power and animal autonomy."

[Not going to summarize the article any further.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

One of our cats, Cinnamon Sundae, is a tortie with an attitude, as torties are said to have. She has gotten overly attached to me. When I leave in the morning, she often tries to stop me from leaving by blocking the front door, getting tangled in my feet, and meowing her head off. She gets super-mouthy and whiney, so I start talking to her to calm her down so she won't wake up my wife.

You have no idea how stupid I feel, talking to a cat and losing the argument at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    … You have no idea how stupid I feel, talking to a cat and losing the argument at the same time.
    If you ever win it will be because she let you.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you ever win it will be because she let you.
    Cinnamon will never relent. I never saw a cat complain so much in all my life. I bump her with my sock foot, "YIPE" and she's running off crying and trying to hide and I'm chasing her trying to apologize.