Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Cat Thread

I remember years ago when having a cat fall asleep on me would put me into a state of ecstasy and wonder. It was precious and beautiful and soooooooooo cute.

Now: "OMG, Midnight's asleep on me and I have to go to the bathroom. OMG, OMG, OMG..."
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Just discovered a paper that, I believe, carries the ethical argument WAY too far. My cats are getting catnip, period.

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-unethical-cat-catnip.html

Is it unethical to give your cat catnip?
    December 18, 2018 by Debra Merskin, The Conversation

QUOTE: "As an animal media studies scholar, I argue laughing at a cat who has been given a drug even if they seem happy should raise questions about human power and animal autonomy."

[Not going to summarize the article any further.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

One of our cats, Cinnamon Sundae, is a tortie with an attitude, as torties are said to have. She has gotten overly attached to me. When I leave in the morning, she often tries to stop me from leaving by blocking the front door, getting tangled in my feet, and meowing her head off. She gets super-mouthy and whiney, so I start talking to her to calm her down so she won't wake up my wife.

You have no idea how stupid I feel, talking to a cat and losing the argument at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    … You have no idea how stupid I feel, talking to a cat and losing the argument at the same time.
    If you ever win it will be because she let you.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you ever win it will be because she let you.
    Cinnamon will never relent. I never saw a cat complain so much in all my life. I bump her with my sock foot, "YIPE" and she's running off crying and trying to hide and I'm chasing her trying to apologize.

Smile

Does this camera make my head look too big?

(photo by my wife of Blizzard, who needs attention right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190129_143330012_BURST001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	761.2 KB 
ID:	23976  

Our cat, Melissa, who’s just four months old managed to create a folder on Mrs M’s computer.

Seeing a suspicious folder on her Windows desktop – one with a name something like “nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnjp,” she did some research.
    Turns out that [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[N] is a shortcut to create a new folder.

Now, if you were to put one foot down right between [Shift] and [Ctrl], and another down on the [N] key, a new folder appears. I guess that if you’re not in an Explorer window, it defaults to the desktop. At this point, it’s waiting for a name. Now, if you were to lift up that first foot with the other still on the [N], you get multiple n’s for so long as that foot remains. A third and subsequent steps must have added the other letters.

Pretty clever, eh?

While Mrs M was away from the keyboard, our son snuck in there and added some files to the new directory, showing carefully selected icons for all of a cat’s favorite things, like cat food, toys, mice, lizards, shoe laces and the like … which she later discovered.

Wish I’d thought of that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melissa_cat.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	23978

That's almost as fun as the parrot that was ordering things with Alexa (link).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Smile

Cinnamon Sundae, our tortie longhair mix, asleep on the bathroom floor by the tub.

What you cannot see is the hot-air vent, which she completely covers.

She is a bum, but a very smart bum.

Name:	IMG_20190131_114154853.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	23983  

Our Ginger knows where every heating vent in the house is, and spends winter going from one to another (unless she is under the covers of one of the beds or parked in a sunbeam).

Cool

Serendipity, our miniature Maine Coon mix, snoozing on the sofa pillows. Photo by my wife, who is off work today and loving it.

Name:	ATT00001a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	964.0 KB 
ID:	23986  

Can cleaning out your cat's litter box cause you to go insane? Maybe. Well, probably not. But maybe.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...mental-illness

Reality check: Can cat poop cause mental illness?
    By Emily Underwood, Feb. 15, 2019 , 8:00 AM

Alert! “Cats Can Literally Make You Crazy.” Wait! “Cats Don't Cause Mental Illness.” The news headlines are as alarming as they are contradictory. All refer to Toxoplasma gondii, a brain parasite carried by our feline companions that infects roughly one in three people. Scientists have long hypothesized that T. gondii plays a role in mental illness, including schizophrenia. But though more than 100 studies have found a correlation, none has shown that the parasite actually causes mental illness. So what’s really going on? Here’s what you need to know... [much text]

CONTAINS LINK TO CDC:
    https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxopl...s/prevent.html

...which contains this advice: "Have someone else clean the litter box."

==============

Why this is relevant to me: I clean, on a daily basis, 11 litter boxes used by 9 cats.

I would like moderators to keep this in mind in case I start posting nonsense in this forum. It's "litter-ally" not my fault.

I've heard this for years. I put the effects on humans part of it in the nonsense category; the kind of stuff editors love on slow news days (or if they hate cats).

Shh--they'll call you a cat-poop denialist.

If the CDC advises people to "have someone else clean the litter box", then I won't let my wife do it. I'm a man. I have to do man things, and scooping poop is a top-level man-thing.

So this morning I was doing some laundry. This item needed the "self-washing" cycle.

Name:	Laundry.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	24016

The job isn't complete until everything is put away.

Name:	Laundry2.jpg 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	24017

And of course, it's not really complete at all because there'll be more to do.

Name:	Laundrry3.jpg 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	24018
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Can cleaning out your cat's litter box cause you to go insane? …

... It's "litter-ally" not my fault.
    And there's the first sign.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Lil Bub's entire genome has been sequenced because her fans demanded it and paid for it. I blame the internet.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...ave-its-genome

I broke my leg in January and got around by scooter for 6 weeks. Nala loved riding with me.

Name:	20190113_164005.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	24046

Name:	20190113_164005.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	892.3 KB 
ID:	24045  
    Last edited by pumpkinpie; 2019-Feb-27 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Edited to rotate image

I just told my wife we should get a cat, because it would be nice to have one around the house. Both of ours are sleeping under bedspreads, one in each bedroom.

Smile

Closeup taken by my wife of Rosie Rockett, the only cat I ever rescued on my own. She is a sweetie. Short whiskers, though.

Name:	MVIMG_20190225z.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	24065  

Name:	Melissa Angel.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	24068

The current Breaking Cat News arc seems appropriate for this thread:
    https://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news/2019/03/10

All Hail St Catty's Day?

Yes, we celebrate St. Gertrude with treats for kitties at our house, and we ignore all evidence that St. Gertrude was not ever actually associated with cats, but instead with driving off mice.

Cinnamon Sundae by the drum set, looking up at my wife.

Name:	MVIMG_20190312_111959.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	24075  

I wonder why cats love to sleep at the foot of the bed, instead at the head.

My mother used to claim that one of her cats "slept on her head". I never understood what she meant until after she passed away and we were staying at my parents' house and he did it to my wife. He basically stretched out on the pillow over her head. Good old Bubba, he was a nice cat.
    Meanwhile, last night after we turned in one of ours crawled under all the covers and curled up alongside me. Hasn't done that before!

Several people have warned me, in times past, of letting a cat sleep on my head, "because that means they dominate you."

Well, too late now. Every cat we have dominates me.

I really need to use the bathroom right now, but getting up would disturb the kitty who is allowing me to share her recliner at the moment. I can wait a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Our Ginger knows where every heating vent in the house is, and spends winter going from one to another (unless she is under the covers of one of the beds or parked in a sunbeam).
    Not a problem for me, since I live in a very warm-weather place, but I've heard of people who claim their cats have blocked the heat so effectively by lying on the vents, that the pipes froze.