Thread: If you compressed the Earth to the size of a beach ball

If you compressed the Earth to the size of a beach ball

Assume it's not enough to form a black hole. What would that look like and what state of matter would the Earth be in? Would it be a neutron star?

That would be vastly more dense than a neutron star. The density of a neutron star corresponds to a diameter of a few hundred feet for Earth's mass.

There is no known force which can compress an isolated Earth-mass body to such conditions, but in a thought exercise anything goes.

3. 2018-Nov-17, 03:57 PM

Thanks. From the other thread I'm starting to get it.

This chart shows the radius of a neutron star as it corresponds to Solar masses.

The implication of the chart is that a naturally-occuring neutron star cannot form that is less than about .3 Sols.

However, if were to extrapolate it downward, it would be about 450 metres in radius. (I simply Googled for that)

A BH, on the other hand, would be about 1cm in radius.

nature09466-f3.2.jpg

So what class of object is between neutron stars and a black holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Maybe nothing - once neutron degeneracy pressure is overwhelmed, there may be no force that can oppose the collapse to a black hole. Or perhaps a quark star, but we don't know much about quark degeneracy pressure.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Maybe nothing....
    I believe that's correct. I think Chandrasekhar calculated (on his sea voyage to England in 1930) that there is no stable state between a neutron star and black hole.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I believe that's correct. I think Chandrasekhar calculated (on his sea voyage to England in 1930) that there is no stable state between a neutron star and black hole.
    Chandrasekhar didn't know about quarks, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.