Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't you just hate... {science fiction topics}

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Lucas actually stole action scenes from films like Dambusters move for move. Or so I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Dambusters is a 1955 movie set in World War II. That may explain a lot of the air-vehicle behavior of SW's space vehicles.
    Just checkin', but you guys know this was a deliberate choice, right?

He went searching for that because that's what he wanted to portray.

Right. He had no intertest in representing realism or Newtonian physics, that was not part of his goal.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Right. He had no intertest in representing realism or Newtonian physics, that was not part of his goal.
    Correct.

He's not a making science fiction movie; he's making a space adventure, and that needs to evoke dogfights as we know them.

The trench run vs. scenes from The Dam Busters, side-by-side: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The trench run vs. scenes from The Dam Busters, side-by-side: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M
    633 Squadron attacks the Death Star: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Items which have no obvious flaw or situation where they don't work. Items which fail so routinely that they are useless. Cell phones are an example of both.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Items which have no obvious flaw or situation where they don't work. Items which fail so routinely that they are useless. Cell phones are an example of both.
    Cell phones were put on this Earth to give me an brain embolism.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Just checkin', but you guys know this was a deliberate choice, right?

He went searching for that because that's what he wanted to portray.
    Did he ever say so?

Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Did he ever say so?
    Gary Kurtz, the producer of Star Wars, certainly said so.
    "Before the storyboards were done," Kurtz explains, "we recorded on videotape any war movie involving aircraft that came up on television, so we had this massive library of parts of old war movies--The Dam Busters, Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Battle of Britain, Jet Pilot, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, 633 Squadron and about forty-five other movies. We went through them all and picked out scenes to transfer to film to use as guidelines in the battle.
    "We cut them all together into a battle sequence to get an idea of the movement. It was a very bizarre-looking film, all black-and-white, a dirty 16mm dupe. There would be a shot of the pilot saying something, then you cut back to a long shot of the plane, explosions, crashes. It gave a reasonably accurate idea of what the battle sequence would look like, the feeling of it.

Source
    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I wish I could read or watch sci-fi set on a livable Mars or Venus, or featuring interstellar travel with reasonable travel times, and have it still seem plausible. The fact that reality just doesn't work like that is depressing.
    Firefly's take on that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I wish I could read or watch sci-fi set on a livable Mars or Venus, or featuring interstellar travel with reasonable travel times, and have it still seem plausible. The fact that reality just doesn't work like that is depressing.
    A terraformed Mars is semi-plausible, though it would need to be set many centuries in the future; Venus? Terraforming it would take thousands of years. Perhaps too far ahead for a modern reader to relate to a vastly changed culture or technology.

Interstellar travel? Depends on how reasonable your reasoning is on relative travel times, and how into exotic physics you're willing to get.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright