Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ala....html?adkey=bn

Epicenter near Anchorage.

Anyone feel it? Tsunami warning is out.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Peters Creek is just outside Anchorage. I'm guessing Brett felt it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Peters Creek is just outside Anchorage. I'm guessing Brett felt it.
    I have heard from him and yes he felt it, and yes he is OK.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

USGS earthquake map

Showing lots of aftershocks in the 3 to 5 range.

Here is the link to the big 7.0

Here is the Tsunami Warning Center

Looks like the warnings have been lifted (if I'm reading this website correctly)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arning-n942256

Widespread and serious infrastructure damage reported
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

CBS news coverage

They are broadcasting from their studio in Anchorage, and the studio is a mess.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-Nov-30 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo

Politics aside, the quake appears to have damaged Sarah Palin's home. Family is okay.

Did Peters Creek take any damage? Any damage to the capitol building?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-anchorage

Has photo of a car trapped when road ramp collapsed, more damage reports, many homes hit

UPDATE: NPR, with photo of same car from different angle

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67224...ning-in-effect
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2018-Nov-30 at 08:16 PM.

7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Did Peters Creek take any damage?
    We dont know yet. I had just arrived at work (Anchorage ATCT/TRACON) when the quake struck. Were about 15 miles from the epicenter, which was across Knik Arm and 41 km deep.

Our home is about 30 miles from my office and the northbound highway is jammed up good. So I suffered 1-1/2 hours of cross-town traffic, picked my wife, and were holed up at the Olive Garden.

Any damage to the capitol building?
    Unlikely. The capitol is in Juneau, down in the panhandle.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2018-Nov-30 at 10:31 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Has photo of a car trapped when road ramp collapsed[...]
    I drove by the scene of the collapsed on-ramp at Minnesota and International Airport Road. It was the worst of the damage I personally saw on the drive across town. I believe the other photo is an overpass on Minnesota, on the south side.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Chris Jansing made that mistake on her coverage, saying Anchorage was the capitol. She later corrected herself and admitted it was embarrassing because that was her favorite joke, sort of the Alaskan version of Who's on First.

What's the capitol of Alaska?
    Juneau.
    If I knew I wouldn't ask.

Glad you and the missus are okay. I hope you find the house the same.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

A friend of mine lives up there and has checked in as safe. He says, if anything, his house is cleaner now, given how messy it was before. Also, there is no food he likes left in the house, which he also cannot blame on the earthquake.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Everyone I know in Anchorage is fine though some were stranded for awhile. I occasionally worry about the statistically overdue earthquake in the Cascadia subduction zone off Oregon and Washington and consequent tsunami since the fault is offshore. North and south of the cascadia fault have been coming unzipped fairly regularly but not there yet.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pacific...quake-tsunami/
    Last edited by Grant Hatch; 2018-Dec-01 at 01:57 AM.

A friend's sister lives somewhere on the Kenai. I'll bet she got a good shaking. I need to follow up with him to see how she's doing.

All is well in Peters Creek. Got home after a 3-to-4-hour drive and found ourselves very, very lucky if our local facebook groups are to serve as an indication. No obvious structural damage to the house and very little breakage of our treasures...very little.

Relaxing from the roller coaster day with a cigar and some scotch.

Just had a couple of small aftershocks, though.

And I just came back inside to find a water line to the garage heater leaking. Loosening and re-tightening seem to do the trick but Ill be up a while to be sure.

Five aftershocks, 5.0M or better. Enough already.

Any damage to the capitol building?
    I asked because, ah, uh, I am stupid. I've even visited Juneau and seen the capitol, and I asked anyway. So, stupid, that's me.

I remember news coverage of the 1964 Alaskan quake... no, correction, of the National Geographic coverage, which had a terrifying painting of a tsunami rolling over Kodiak, sweeping away diesel locomotives and screaming men and flaming oil all over it. Not realistic, but certainly caught the proper mood. There was a section by the wife of newscaster Lowell Thomas, whose home was swallowed by fracturing land as she and her children, in pajamas, clung to a raft of ice-covered ground as the earth broke apart around them. They never found their neighbors.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/t...ay-earthquake/

Correction, the tsunami was in Seward. This was the painting. Nightmare fuel!

Glad to hear you & family survived ok PC, no deaths reported last I heard so pretty amazing.

I remember news coverage of the 1964 Alaskan quake...
    One of my brothers was stationed (AF) up there in 64' and was holding onto a 2nd story window frame when that big one hit. Emblazoned in his memory was the sight out the window of the distant landscape rolling like waves on an ocean.

Our home is about 30 miles from my office and the northbound highway is jammed up good. So I suffered 1-1/2 hours of cross-town traffic, picked my wife, and we’re holed up at the Olive Garden.
    Glad the bread sticks survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    One of my brothers was stationed (AF) up there in 64' and was holding onto a 2nd story window frame when that big one hit. Emblazoned in his memory was the sight out the window of the distant landscape rolling like waves on an ocean.
    Hey, so was my dad! He was on leave, though--his mother was getting married (again) at the time, and he was visiting for the wedding in California. It ended in divorce, and Grandma used to say that was the one thing she got out of the marriage. Apparently, the wall over Dad's bunk collapsed.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

All is well in Peters Creek. Got home after a 3-to-4-hour drive and found ourselves very, very lucky if our local facebook groups are to serve as an indication. No obvious structural damage to the house and very little breakage of our treasures...very little.

Relaxing from the roller coaster day with a cigar and some scotch.
    It's a good thing the bottle didn't fall, or survived a fall!

No, there werent any casualties of that sort but you should see pictures from some of the adult beverage stores. We just lost a piece of crockery and a mantel clock. Oh well, Ive been wanting to build a clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    It's a good thing the bottle didn't fall, or survived a fall!
    "I lost a bottle of fine single malt because of the earthquake!"

"Oh, did the bottle fall and break?"

"No, but after making it through the quake, I was so shaken that I had to drink it all."

Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

We lost a bottle of pure vanilla extract to the Nisqually earthquake. That did fall and break. That much vanilla is not a pleasant smell, but it's still better than the bottle of vinegar my family lost to an earthquake when I was a kid!

"You can't erase icing."

According to news radio this morning, we've had more than 1400 aftershocks.

According to news radio this morning, we've had more than 1400 aftershocks.
    Dare I say... "shocking!"