Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

Whoa, 1400?....according to my rough calculations that's about one aftershock every 3-4 minutes. Getting much sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Dare I say... "shocking!"
    No.

No, you may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Whoa, 1400?....according to my rough calculations that's about one aftershock every 3-4 minutes. Getting much sleep?
    Aftershocks have ranged from a high of M5.7 shortly after the primary event down to M0.diddlysquat, with the vast majority being closer to the latter. We don't feel most of them or barely do. I just ran a search of the USGS earthquake database that returned 1748 quakes in the immediate area since (and including) the big one. The linked search (if it works) is interactive but here's a static image, with a green star added for the approximate location of my home. I was at the airport at the time of the quake.

EQ Map.JPG
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Anyone have an interesting photo of cracked walls or broken cornices or anything? Fallen books in wavy rows? Fallen beer bottle? Something geological?
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I don't have any photos of my own but you don't have to google very far to get them. Keywords: alaska, earthquake, "glenn highway", minnesota, and "vine road" to name a few.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That's one heck of a quake cluster you've got going there. Has anyone compiled a convenient Time, Intensity, Depth and Location list,
    like this for Vatnajökull ?

Yes, if you go to the link and select “Click for more information” at the top of the lefthand list, you can download the data in CSV and other formats.

[Shaking my head]

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    dare i say... "shocking!"
    grrroooaaannnn!
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    grrroooaaannnn!
    That's what the tectonic plate said.

I saw this on the television (in a metro train) in a language I can't understand. There were American flags in some of the scenes, so I figured it was in the US, but then I checked the news web sites, and didn't find word one about it. I was actually beginning to wonder if maybe it was historical footage, when I finally saw a web story about it.

I was a bit surprised that television news in Asia, with multiple video shoots of people ducking for cover, picked this up before the US-based web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I was a bit surprised that television news in Asia, with multiple video shoots of people ducking for cover, picked this up before the US-based web sites.
    I don't know why you didn't find it but it was in fact widely reported and very soon after it occurred. Google search keywords: alaska earthquake news stories; Filter: Nov 30, 2018. Results

Today's aftershock tally is 2800-plus. I downloaded more seismic data this afternoon and came up with a distribution chart of magnitudes:

Mag Dist 20181206.jpg

So, as much as we complain about the stronger ones...we had a 4.8M this afternoon...the vast majority of them are quite mild.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I don't know why you didn't find it but it was in fact widely reported and very soon after it occurred.
    I cruised up and down the front pages of some of the US news service web sites, expecting to see a story about an earthquake in big letters, but found nothing. Maybe it had already passed out of the front page, or maybe I get defaulted to some international edition of the page that didn't have it, I don't know.

But I was seriously beginning to wonder if perhaps I had been watching some sort of documentary with historical footage, until I later found a story somewhere.

I saw the report initially via geoscience Twitter accounts I follow. I went to local and national news sites and they all had huge red banners declaring "BREAKING NEWS! EARTHQUAKE STRIKES ALASKA. TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED!" and the like. Shortly thereafter, they had multiple "front" page news articles (some of them repeating useless and old information 1000 times, but front page nonetheless). Maybe you have site personalized and some sort of algorithm decided it wasn't newsworthy for you?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    https://www.nationalgeographic.org/t...ay-earthquake/

Correction, the tsunami was in Seward. This was the painting. Nightmare fuel!
    This too
    http://www.semparpac.org/alany/uscg/tsunami.jpg

7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

And another aftershock in Anchorage, this one 3.3.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...5508/executive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Dec-12 at 01:14 PM.

7.0 Earthquake in Alaska 11-30-2018

Well heck! The quake we had today in the South was bigger; 4.4 in Tennessee (and only 9 km down) but it still rattled our walls in Georgia. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well heck! The quake we had today in the South was bigger; 4.4 in Tennessee (and only 9 km down) but it still rattled our walls in Georgia. Go figure.
    Yeah, we've only had 27 aftershocks or so in the last 7 days that were 3.0M or higher. [Ref: USGS] I haven't felt most of them.