Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice of scientist's face on new £50 note

Choice of scientist's face on new £50 note

Stephen Hawking's physiognomy seems to be the favorite from a list of British scientists nominated to appear on the new £50 pound note https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46343965

I would like to have seen a traditional Englishman's strong face eg Oliver Heaviside, Oliver Lodge, Paul Dirac, or even Eric Laithwaite.

Lovelace or Franklin would be cool, but so would Hawking.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Newton would be better. He worked for the Mint.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Newton would be better. He worked for the Mint.
    He was on the old £1 note.

I like the idea that there's such a thing as a "traditional Englishman's strong face". (Not Bertie Wooster, then.)
    Lodge and Laithwaite were too enamoured of crackpottery, and Dirac was half Swiss. Heaviside could do with a bit more recognition though, I think.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Not the Mr Whippy lady then?

Most important thing is that it'll be plastic. I hope they get on with it and the twenty. At least before sterling goes the way of the Zimbabwean dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Heaviside could do with a bit more recognition though, I think.
    Although, he had red hair (nothing wrong with that, of course, but not a traditional "English" look). And he painted his fingernails pink, apparently. So maybe he was ahead of his time.

I like the idea that there's such a thing as a "traditional Englishman's strong face". (Not Bertie Wooster, then.)
    More like Jeeves, perhaps.

Of course, the current Bank of England £50 note (and the £20) bears a traditional Scotsman's strong face, so I presume a redhead wouldn't be out of the question. (The three different Scottish £50s feature two Scotsmen and a Scotswoman.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I think they should put it up for a vote on the Internet. I would vote for Scientist McScientistFace.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Can the US put Carl Sagan on our money? How about Bill Nye? Neil deGrasse Tyson?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Can the US put Carl Sagan on our money? How about Bill Nye? Neil deGrasse Tyson?
    Originally by tradition, and now by law, living people cannot appear on US currency, so no to Nye and deGrasse Tyson.

I know on stamps that it was tradition to wait 10 years after someone died, except for former Presidents. I don't know if that is also true for currency, but I suspect so.

Again, from my stamp collecting years, there were some circumstances where living people did appear on stamps, usually as models, but they were not being honored on the stamp. I will also note that the US Postal Service has loosened a lot of these rules over the years (there also used to be a ban on commercial symbols) as a way to drum up sales and public interest. This is one of the reasons I no longer collect stamps.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Neil deGrasse Tyson may not be the best choice of late.

James Clark Maxwell, James Watt.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Both the possessors of traditional Scotsman's strong faces. Watt is on the current £50, along with Matthew Boulton.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Dec-03 at 08:39 PM.
    Blog

Note:

Didn't know that about Watt so he has to give up his spot I guess.

Quatermass is my choice. He defeated the Martians and everything.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Too bad there is not a 76 pound note, perfect for Halley. How about Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    How about Darwin.
    On the paper £10 note until this year. Replaced by a polymer Jane Austen. Evolution in action.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Stephen Hawking's physiognomy seems to be the favorite from a list of British scientists nominated to appear on the new £50 pound note https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46343965
    Hawking would be a good choice because I like the idea of having a Simpsons character on the note!

Hawking option seems a bit popularist....I would prefer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	at.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	23789
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

How would you test if that bill is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    How would you test if that bill is genuine.
    Born: 23 June 1912, Maida Vale

Died: 7 June 1954, Wilmslow

it's interesting that he died at 41. Didn't quite make it to 42.

His life was made difficult due to him being gay.

I don't thing the public's need for instant gratification should be encouraged by using Hawking. I'm sure if industrialised society survives long enough, Hawking can be pictured in 50 years time.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Hawking option seems a bit popularist....I would prefer:

Name:	at.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	23789
    Here, here. Then Quatermass.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

And of course, the inventor of the wheel.

Name:	OGG.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	23790
    Formerly Frog march.

Does the person have to be dead?

"Polymer Jane Austen" makes me imagine this.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Does the person have to be dead?
    Unless you're the monarch, you have to be dead before you can appear on a Bank of England note.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Unless you're the monarch, you have to be dead before you can appear on a Bank of England note.

Grant Hutchison
    Oh! In that case, I vote for Giorgio A. Tsoukalos.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Oh! In that case, I vote for Giorgio A. Tsoukalos.
    You know that makes no sense, right?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Neil deGrasse Tyson may not be the best choice of late.
    I'm not up on current developments, why?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright