Thread: Powerfull laser.

Powerfull laser.

Hi everyone.

The last couple of days there is a very powerfull green laserbeam going across our city skies.

2.jpg

3.jpg

A lot of people called the police the first day they saw it, and the city said, It was a company testing a new product.
    I asked some coworkers about it, and they tell me that they can see the beam going over there towns some 3 KM away. That is not a toy laser.
    So my question is: Why would a company test there big new laser over a very large city, with lots of traffic getting distracted by it. And can they just do such a thing?
    And what would be the purpouse of such a laser, what could it be used for?

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

Hopefully there's not an airport nearby, that is a big no-no over here.

Some kind of adaptive optics? Frequency doubled Nd lasers are sometmes used for the Rayleigh version of this (such as the one for ARGUS)

Something like: https://www.ing.iac.es/About-ING/Str...nouncement.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    And what would be the purpouse of such a laser, what could it be used for?
    I work in a place where people use a variety of really powerful lasers for a variety of purposes, like crystallography for example. And usually they are on in the visible light range. I think that a green laser is made through a deliberate process to make green light, so my guess is that it is a pointer of some kind, like for weapon targeting or for use in laser shows or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I doubt if anyone's testing a laser - more likely they're testing the installation.
    It could well be an art installation, or the makings of one. There was a famous one in New York a few years ago, visible over tens of miles, and you had one in the Netherlands recently that used the green lasers to symbolize "green energy".
    These things have to seek permission from local aviation authorities, and must be ready to shut down immediately if required.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I've seen these over Toronto.

They were sent out from the Scotiabank Tower.

So, publicity.

The OP images suggest that laser is significantly greater than 1W since I had one (a gift from Wicked Laser) and it was not that bright seen from that distance. Unless the beam is somewhat diverged at the source then re-aligned -- it almost looks that way in the first picture, but overexposure is more likely the explanation -- then serious eye damage would be likely even at a significant distance. A 1/2 watt blue laser that shined upon the ISS was imaged by them from about 500 miles distance.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

There is too much speculation here. If you can tell where it is coming from, trtack it down and fing out what's going on. Who, what where, why, and how.
    I'm not a hardnosed mainstreamer; I just like the observations, theories, predictions, and results to match.

"Mainstream isnít a faith system. It is a verified body of work that must be taken into account if you wish to add to that body of work, or if you want to change the conclusions of that body of work." - korjik

It turns out, Grant was right. It is an art project.
    Link: Groene lasers verbinden gebouwen voor kunstproject. Sorry, i only have a Dutch source.

Vijf gebouwen

De lichtlijn verbindt vijf hoge gebouwen: de Innovatoren, het Venlose stadskantoor, de Molenbossen in Blerick, de schoorsteen van Wienerberger in Tegelen en de St. Clemenskerk in Kaldenkerken. Het gaat om een route van zeventien kilometer, die in de donkere uren wandelend of fietsend kan worden afgelegd.
    TRANSLATION:
    Five Buildings

The lightline connects five high builings: the Innovatower, the Venlosche Cityhall, the Molenbossen in Blerick, the smokestack
    Wienerberger at Tegelen and the St. Clemens church in Kaldenkerken(Germany) It encompases a route of 17 KM, that can be taken on food or by bike when it's turning dark.
    FWIW, I'm a big fan of art. But shining a big bad laser over a large city, and severall large autobahn's...

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander