Thread: The Goblin

Talking The Goblin

Hello. The newly discovered Trans-Neptunian..don't know why they don't call it a 'Trans-Plutonian' object has a maximum distance from the sun of 2,500 au. ( please don't say because pluto is not a planet)..it's the farthest object in the 'previously' accepted solar system that we had. That means it has a rightful place to begin discussing objects discovered further out.

I think a mission for such an object might be interesting..because it would have a 'sample' of life out to 2,500 au. Getting out to that distance anytime soon...is not likely for a long time.

Is there any other value to such a mission that people could thing of?

Thanks for any and all responses
    Bye
    Gorn

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
    Hello. The newly discovered Trans-Neptunian..don't know why they don't call it a 'Trans-Plutonian' object has a maximum distance from the sun of 2,500 au.
    Cool.

I think because trans-Neptunian actually has consequences, gravito-orbitally speaking, whereas as trans-Plutonian does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
    Hello. The newly discovered Trans-Neptunian..don't know why they don't call it a 'Trans-Plutonian' object has a maximum distance from the sun of 2,500 au. ( please don't say because pluto is not a planet)..it's the farthest object in the 'previously' accepted solar system that we had.
    Because Pluto is not a planet. And no, I'm not just being difficult. Pluto is just another one of the Trans-Neptunian objects. If you don't like "TNO" and want to credit Pluto, you could call all the TNOs "Plutinos"

And yes, visiting Plutinos is a great idea, though I don't know that visiting The Goblin is any better than the others.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Perhaps someday, we can probe it as part of testing a long range propulsion system? An engine capable of reaching the Goblin in any reasonable time frame, would also be immensely useful for visiting anywhere else in the Solar System.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright