Thread: Find old BA threads from FAQ?

Find old BA threads from FAQ?

Over in one of the FAQs, there is item 14 about finding/converting old links. It says there is no known way to convert a very old link like this:

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...741&forum=6&29

To a modern link like this:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...inks-on-Bottom

If anyone found a way to do so, we should share. Does anyone know the contents of the first link provided relative to the second link I provided, so they can confirm that I did find a way?
    Solfe

From context it might be an announcement that GrapesOfWrath changed his name to Kilopi. Maybe Grapes remembers.

EDIT: reading your question again, I wonder what you mean by “relative to the second link”? I think they’re both just examples of what the format of the URL type is, without any relation between the actual content of the two link targets.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Over in one of the FAQs, there is item 14 about finding/converting old links. It says there is no known way to convert a very old link like this:

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...741&forum=6&29

To a modern link like this:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...inks-on-Bottom

If anyone found a way to do so, we should share. Does anyone know the contents of the first link provided relative to the second link I provided, so they can confirm that I did find a way?
    I looked into this years ago. My recollection is that the threads remain (usually), the issue is finding the thread using the old link format. I thought I had a clean mapping for BABB links at one point, but I believe that turned out to be an illusion. Sometimes you can figure them out by doing a Google search, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    From context it might be an announcement that GrapesOfWrath changed his name to Kilopi. Maybe Grapes remembers.
    Not sure. Which context?

ANAICT, this is the "transition," no announcement was made, back then:
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...ght=#post54196

EDIT: reading your question again, I wonder what you mean by “relative to the second link”? I think they’re both just examples of what the format of the URL type is, without any relation between the actual content of the two link targets.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Not sure. Which context?
    If one googles the old URL one ends up at this thread on this forum, where David Hall (who hasn't logged in since 2003, at least not with that name) links to the it in post #5, and where I interpret his "but he did announce" to refer to your namechange. At least, I guessed the "the only other Bad PhD has decided to retire his name and start over from the bottom" in post #1 refers to you.

ETA: and for newer members: "Bad PhD" was a forum rank IIRC based on post count, not a comment on anyone's abilities

ETAsomemore: "Popstar Of Doom" <snicker>

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Oh, I thought that the example in the FAQ was an example of what content was desired, not a random example. I thought someone knew what that link said.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    If one googles the old URL one ends up at this thread on this forum, where David Hall (who hasn't logged in since 2003, at least not with that name) links to the it in post #5, and where I interpret his "but he did announce" to refer to your namechange. At least, I guessed the "the only other Bad PhD has decided to retire his name and start over from the bottom" in post #1 refers to you.
    Ah!

I've looked through that thread and now see that I referenced that link later in connection with SeanF and typing names. Maybe it was in a games thread that was lost in the Purge. I've tried various searches, to no avail.
    But in fact, as SeanF pointed out (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...m=6&29&start=6), if you really type Colt right, it takes three.
    ETA: and for newer members: "Bad PhD" was a forum rank IIRC based on post count, not a comment on anyone's abilities

ETAsomemore: "Popstar Of Doom" <snicker>
    What coulda been!