Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 120

Thread: What do you think of Neil degrasse Tyson?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905

    What do you think of Neil degrasse Tyson?

    Any opinions on him and his media?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    I'm sure he's a perfectly nice and very clever person. Can't bear to watch him, can't bear to listen to him.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Why is that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    Why is that?
    Affected portentious gravitas. Whereas I can't bear to watch Brian Cox because of affected portentious bliss. (Equally, I'm sure, a nice and clever person.)
    TV producers encourage certain behaviours that make willing or predisposed presenters appear to be entirely up themselves. It's not a good look. Not in our house, anyway.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  5. #5
    You don't have to be a TV personality to up yourself, meant a few in real life before they even had their undergrad.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Plus some of youtube presenters make Sheldon on the Big bang look humble. I like Dr. Tyson.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,594
    Clever, assuredly. Nice . . . there are some unpleasant stories.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    Yeah, I've read the stories about Tyson, and his response to them. In my part of the world, "I'm sure he's a perfectly nice person" translates as "I don't have enough information to feel like commenting".
    (But, with the correct tone of voice and facial expression, you can actually transform it into a stinging condemnation.)

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Sorry, what sort of stories are you guys talking about?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    Type neil degrasse tyson harassment into your search engine of choice.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yeah, I've read the stories about Tyson, and his response to them. In my part of the world, "I'm sure he's a perfectly nice person" translates as "I don't have enough information to feel like commenting".
    (But, with the correct tone of voice and facial expression, you can actually transform it into a stinging condemnation.)

    Grant Hutchison
    That would be my comment on the issue(s)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Type neil degrasse tyson harassment into your search engine of choice.

    Grant Hutchison
    I just did. I don't think it's a good idea to judge people based on a few unsubstantiated stories. We have a legal system for these sorts of things and until the due process says otherwise he should be regarded as innocent.
    Last edited by The_Radiation_Specialist; 2019-Jan-03 at 11:49 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    I just did. I don't think it's a good idea to judge people based on a few unsubstantiated stories. We have a legal system for these sorts of things and until the due process says otherwise he should be regarded as innocent (regardless of what the #metoo crowd likes to think).
    It's complicated. Hence my careful choice of words, which seems not to have achieved the effect I'd hoped.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  14. #14
    I don't really like to judge from a couple of stories because things can be misinterpreted by different people and I really don't like judging people from gossip because I have been on the wrong side of that.

    When I was at university I has dealing with depression for several reasons. There were times when I would just sit in front of a TV and not really paying attention to what is going on but thinking about a way of ending it all. To some they got focused on the TV not what I was thinking. So to know what someone is thinking is hard. Plus I was dealing with some people who had an overly simple version of mental health.
    Also at the time there was a professor who just came in from Berkeley who know a rather famous planet hunter. She said he was a nice guy but she did not work directly with him she studied galaxies. So when it came about that this guy was all hands with the female students under him I was surprised.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,699
    To me, celebrity scientists are celebrities first and scientists second. Until and unless they have something interesting or profound to say like Sagan, I don't pay them much mind.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,778
    I think Tyson did ok with the Cosmos series and he is quite passionate on astronomical topics when being interviewed, but his tv show (Startalk?) never did bring me back. He's better at being interviewed rather than being the interviewer.

  17. #17
    The way to think about is:
    Human-scientist-celebrity scientist.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    9,404
    I like what I've seen of and read from him.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    The way to think about is:
    Human-scientist-celebrity scientist.
    Well put. Many people forget that he is a human and may have made mistakes in the past. It's hard to find someone who hasn't honestly: even Sagan allegedly had affairs and wrote about his cannabis use. Einstein had writings which may be construed as racist today (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...nment-44472277)

    I like to judge him on his work and his efforts in being the Sagan of our age in popularising science and skeptical thinking to a new generation.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,699
    As he is human, I'll judge him as any human; by his actions, on camera and off.

    Statistically, false accusations of sexual harassment are very uncommon. They open the accuser to every sort of scrutiny and negative assumption in this and most societies and are usually the last resort. To casually dismiss such testimony is IMO a disservice.

    As for assumption of innocence, it is a component of the legal system, not personal opinions. I am not bound by court decisions which are notoriously fickle and circumstance dependent.

    In any case, whether the smoke turns up fire, or if he's vindicated, has yet to be determined.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Affected portentious gravitas. Whereas I can't bear to watch Brian Cox because of affected portentious bliss. (Equally, I'm sure, a nice and clever person.)
    TV producers encourage certain behaviours that make willing or predisposed presenters appear to be entirely up themselves. It's not a good look. Not in our house, anyway.

    Grant Hutchison
    Though I agree in most with your opinion, I don't mind watching or listening to either Tyson or Cox. They are both passionate about what they do and this translates in their presentations. For me this helps me engage the media content of their discussions with a bit more enthusiasm. I've watched and listened to many presentations by many professors of science and find some, (even though the content was interesting) rather dull, almost monotone so the presentation became mundane. Rightly or wrongly Tyson and cox to some extent keep, me engaged with a little bit of childlike excitement. I realize this is most likely encouraged by the broadcasting companies, after all they are only interested in making money from viewers and listeners. But I believe this approach gains the interest from people who would probably not normally show interest in science, especially children.

    I have been given tickets, as a Christmas present, to go and see Brian Cox live in Nottingham in February. Though I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy these tickets for such a live show, I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

  22. #22
    When we are in an age where the flat earthers are coming back we need as many people as possible to spread the word of SCIENCE.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2019-Jan-04 at 04:26 PM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    When we are in an age where the flat earthers are coming back we need as many people as possible to spread the word of SCIENCE.
    Even if they are serial abusers/assaulters? I assure you, the salvation of the human race doesn't rest on one person's shoulders or on a Cosmos reboot.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Even if they are serial abusers/assaulters? I assure you, the salvation of the human race doesn't rest on one person's shoulders or on a Cosmos reboot.

    CJSF
    There's no evidence NDT is a serial abuser/assaulter. We have a legal system that determines that. By assuming that he is - based on hearsay - you are making the world a scary place where anyone can ruin anyone else's career by making false claims.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,084
    I seem to remember him thinking the internal combustion engine (ICE) were on the way out. (new COSMOS series)

    I don't think so. Energy density alone means hydrocarbons aren't going anywhere.

    Another rising star is Mr. Pogue:
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/...super-battery/

    Something about that documentary worried me. There, we see the presenter cut pieces out of a "battery" and it still worked. But I thought to myself ( a battery could have been secreted inside the voltimeter, and as long as he didn't cut between the electrodes, he'd still have some current.

    The new batteries were supposed to be flame resistant.

    But from what little I understand--you increase energy density--and those electrons want out--by combustion if not discharge....

    Watch the end of that doco and tell me if you think the battery there is legit.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,436
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I seem to remember him thinking the internal combustion engine (ICE) were on the way out. (new COSMOS series)

    I don't think so. Energy density alone means hydrocarbons aren't going anywhere.

    Another rising star is Mr. Pogue:
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/...super-battery/

    Something about that documentary worried me. There, we see the presenter cut pieces out of a "battery" and it still worked. But I thought to myself ( a battery could have been secreted inside the voltimeter, and as long as he didn't cut between the electrodes, he'd still have some current.

    The new batteries were supposed to be flame resistant.

    But from what little I understand--you increase energy density--and those electrons want out--by combustion if not discharge....

    Watch the end of that doco and tell me if you think the battery there is legit.
    Not in this thread. This is a complete derailment of the thread and a possible, unreferenced Cosmos mention on internal combustion engines does not make a connection. If you want to discuss battery technology, start your own thread.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Even if they are serial abusers/assaulters? I assure you, the salvation of the human race doesn't rest on one person's shoulders or on a Cosmos reboot.

    CJSF
    Never said it did, but there is an almost constant attack on science nowadays. There are plenty of scientist doing outreach and other activities.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,327
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    There's no evidence NDT is a serial abuser/assaulter.
    Well, witness testimony is generally considered to be evidence. How we respond to that evidence is complicated. At present it's polarized when it probably needs to be nuanced.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Radiation_Specialist View Post
    There's no evidence NDT is a serial abuser/assaulter. We have a legal system that determines that. By assuming that he is - based on hearsay - you are making the world a scary place where anyone can ruin anyone else's career by making false claims.
    Of course, this is preferable to all the women whose careers in science and technology (and elsewhere) were cut short because abuse and harassment were not addressed nor taken seriously. Noted. I say take the victims at face value and let an investigation sort it out. As has been pointed out (and is backed by years of evidence) false claims are very rare, while actual abuse and harassment - the kinds that end careers and ruin lives - are rampant.

    CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"


    lonelybirder.org

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Of course, this is preferable to all the women whose careers in science and technology (and elsewhere) were cut short because abuse and harassment were not addressed nor taken seriously.

    Have you heard of the straw man argument? Your comment is classic example of it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

    As has been pointed out (and is backed by years of evidence) false claims are very rare, while actual abuse and harassment - the kinds that end careers and ruin lives - are rampant.

    CJSF
    This is irrelevant. Even if there has been zero false accusations since recorded history there is still a possibility that there would be one in this case.

    I think we are both agreeing that "we don't know the real truth", however I'm awaiting judgement until a proper legal process investigates the allegations while you seem to imply we should jump into judging someone's character before the due process is conducted. Can you see how your line of reasoning can be problematic?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •