Thread: "Night of the Lepus" was a documentary

Smile "Night of the Lepus" was a documentary

https://www.inverse.com/article/5230...t-eating-study

Meat-eating rabbits have been filmed in Canada. They are eating lynxes and grouse.

To quote the experts on what we should do: "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Doesn't surprise me. I've seen a squirrel eat another squirrel.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

It is important to point out that the hares in this study weren't killing the animals they were eating, they were scavenging the carcasses of already dead animals.

I think it is also not that unusual. I've heard descriptions of deer eating mice and squirrels stealing bird eggs or chicks and eating them.

On the flip side, I think pretty much all carnivores supplement their diets with vegetation.

I think we had a very old thread on this topic; the question was along the lines of "are any animals strictly carnivores or herbivores" and the answer was for the most part - no.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It is important to point out that the hares in this study weren't killing the animals they were eating, they were scavenging the carcasses of already dead animals.
    That's what the rabbits who control the news want you to think.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I think it is also not that unusual. I've heard descriptions of deer eating mice and squirrels stealing bird eggs or chicks and eating them.

On the flip side, I think pretty much all carnivores supplement their diets with vegetation.

I think we had a very old thread on this topic; the question was along the lines of "are any animals strictly carnivores or herbivores" and the answer was for the most part - no.
    I think the term is "obligate carnivore". Cats, minks, dolphins, etc. have to eat meat. House cats sometimes eat other things, but usually as play or appeasement of an owner's request. My cat will eat cheese if offered, but it seems to be the offer she is responding to and not the need to eat. I recall a time where my son forgot his sandwich on the table and the cat got it. The ham was gone, but the cheese and bread were plastered all over the walls and floors. Apparently, she thought it was a "Happy Meal" and ate it, then played with it.
    Solfe

we had a cat that would mug you for a cantaloupe
    she would try to knock you out of the way to get at the cantaloupe
    she also loved corn

Our cat Blizzard likes to lick and nibble on French fries from Steak & Shake. Several of our cats are insistent on eating cheese in small amounts. Percy the kitten attacks you for any food you have, probably from being raised like a trash panda from birth.

My cat is addicted to Flaming Hot Cheetos of all things. Comes running if he hears a chip bag being opened and god help your legs if you don't give him some.

Good With Ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    https://www.inverse.com/article/5230...t-eating-study

Meat-eating rabbits have been filmed in Canada. They are eating lynxes and grouse.

To quote the experts on what we should do: "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"
    What experts ?
    I'm not a hardnosed mainstreamer; I just like the observations, theories, predictions, and results to match.

"Mainstream isn’t a faith system. It is a verified body of work that must be taken into account if you wish to add to that body of work, or if you want to change the conclusions of that body of work." - korjik

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    What experts ?
    These experts, presumably.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The Monty Python and the Holy Grail experts.