Thread: Main Website Problems?

Main Website Problems?

Is the main CosmoQuest site experiencing issues?

I usually use a direct link to the forum (which is obviously working), but attempted to sign-in via the main website the other day.
    I showed a "stay tuned" page with none of the usual links. It says to check them out on "twitch" and "discord", whatever they are.
    As of now, the problem continues.

The URL I typed is is : http://www.cosmoquest.org, which apparently redirects to: https://cosmoquest.org/x/
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

To me it looks like a deliberate "please wait" message while the main site gets updated; suggesting other ways to be "in the loop" (funny that the forum isn't one of them).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

Well, this looks unsettling.
    I clicked on the "twitch" linkon the main page and found this statement:

Support CosmoQuest

After 6 years of our work, CosmoQuest finds itself without funding. We'd learned this might happen due to JWST cost over runs and changes to NASA citizen science policies. Now, just in time for Christmas, we either need to find new funding or everyone is out of work come January 1.
    I assume the statement "everyone is out of work" means that the citizen science work has halted.
    Any idea how this affects for the future of the forums?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Thanks for that, Extravoice.

I have tried to contact Pamela earlier to ask her to look at this thread. Maybe she has, maybe not, or maybe she’s just not in a position to say anything right now. If the Twitch message is anything to go by, these must be painful times. Best make a backup of your PM’s, I guess.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Perhaps better news?

I couldn't see that on my tablet, but could on my desktop. In fact, I couldn't see much of anything there except the video on my tablet.

There was also a link to their Patreon page, which perhaps (?) has a more positive message. There's a message written by Pamela on Jan. 8. Here's the link:

https://www.patreon.com/LearningSpace

In part, it says:

Behind the scenes a lot of other stuff is going on. Our team of programmers are working in to bring you a completely new experience at CosmoQuest. This includes a totally new user interface, and a complete update of our Citizen Science Builder code. We started these efforts back in June, and are just cleaning up the final pieces. As things are ready, we will put them live and let everyone know what's up via Twitter.

And when that's done... I have so many research papers to write and so many results to share with all of you.
    Of course, even if more positive, who knows where that leaves the forum.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today the forum website is logging out when I am away for only an hour or so. Until now it stayed logged on indefinitely. I cannot tell for sure whether it is the forum or something in my computer, but other subscription sites are staying logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Today the forum website is logging out when I am away for only an hour or so. Until now it stayed logged on indefinitely. I cannot tell for sure whether it is the forum or something in my computer, but other subscription sites are staying logged on.
    I am staying logged in now. I checked the Remember Me box going in last time. I don't know whether or not that has anything to do with this.