Thread: Swimming with biggest Great White Shark

Swimming with biggest Great White Shark

Articles shows divers playong with a 50 fifty year old, 20 foot great white shark. I find this awfully dangerous and irresponsible. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tion-deep-blue

Of course it's risky business, but as long as they are not doing any harm to the shark, it's up to them so assuming they have any grasp of the risks, I wouldn't call it irresponsible.Their choice.

From what I've heard, sharks tend to bite people -a rare event in itself- to investigate, not to eat them (we're a bit too bony for their liking). So if those divers with their experience could assume the shark was not in Hercule Poirot modus, it was a risk but not a certain death.

I did a bit of searching around to see how often great whites attack divers. In the midst of that, I was amused to discover that the ever-alert Wikipedia has a page entitled List of fatal, unprovoked shark attacks in the United States.

I love the idea that there are people out there provoking shark attacks. Sure, there are people out there annoying sharks, but I doubt if any of them are thinking Let's see how much this big fella will put up with before he attacks me.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Articles shows divers playong with a 50 fifty year old, 20 foot great white shark. I find this awfully dangerous and irresponsible.
    There may be some danger involved, but I am certain that climbing Mt. Everest is much more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Well I went scuba diving once where the dive guide was trying to attract sharks (the guide was dressed in chain mail on arms and head). But all we got were fish. A LOT of fish. So many we could barely see the guide inside the cloud of fish and bait particles. The idea was to feed the sharks that swam by but they decided to be elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well I went scuba diving once where the dive guide was trying to attract sharks (the guide was dressed in chain mail on arms and head). But all we got were fish.
    I wonder if it's really dorky to point out that sharks are fish...
    As above, so below

No, not dorky at all. I suppose I should have said we only saw fish with small teeth that weren't interested in us, just the bits of bait being waved around by the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I love the idea that there are people out there provoking shark attacks. Sure, there are people out there annoying sharks, but I doubt if any of them are thinking Let's see how much this big fella will put up with before he attacks me.

Grant Hutchison
    Actually, I would not put it past some people. When I volunteered at a National Park in Louisiana, I would see people provoking alligators all the time. I remember one fellow who was throwing sticks at one that was about 3 feet away (well within striking distance). When I asked him why he said "I want to see it do something". Well, that made two of us; I wanted to see it take his leg off.

Never underestimated the idiocy of idiots.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It is the bull sharks that would worry me.

Some years ago, two folks were on some program for the Discovery channel.

They were both only calf--to--waist deep in the water, simply talking to one another about how sharks are misunderstood, etc, etc. Until one of those four calves vanished in a bite. Victim was Erich Ritter.

As for the Jaws, that's like an 18 wheeler blowing past. Scary--but not in the same way a swooping wasp is. Small and fast....
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-Jan-25 at 11:24 PM.

Adapting an old joke:

There's a book called How to Swim with Giant Sharks
    ... by Hugo Phirst.

Sequel to How to avoid Huge ships..I get it.....

I thought the sequel was "How To Avoid Huge Starships"?