Thread: Simulation of the HD 98800 B system

Simulation of the HD 98800 B system

A week or so ago the discovery that the HD98800 B binary star system has a protoplanetary disk that orbits at right angels to its two host stars made it into the news and I thought it would be good fun to see if I could simulate this system with my home made gravity simulator, and managed to come up with this. I emailed a link to the simulation to the lead author of the study, Grant Kennedy, and he liked it and included a link to it in one of his blogposts.

This is pretty much, in a nutshell, what I hope to achieve with my gravity simulator; to make space and physics come to life in a beautiful, playful yet scientifically accurate way in an accessible medium - anyone with a browser can use my simulator - and help researchers better connect with the public through simulations of their discoveries and research, like Grant did.

I'm going to try to create a simulation of the most exciting discoveries when they happen, and ultimately leverage the public by enabling them to create simulations themselves using an intuitive user interface that I'm hammering together, so that I can spend more time on developing new features for the simulator instead of just creating scenarios.

It's also a physics sandbox, although the interface is a bit awkward at the moment, but I'm working on changing that.

That is lovely.

Something of an idea for you.

I had this concept of an asteroid flyby rotorvator. It would consist of two asteroids--very like the two stars you have.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/obs...ouble-asteroid

Both would be bagged--and one would drag a tail, backspun to allow objects to be drawn from the Earth and deposited to it.
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/flyb...ovator.275475/

The reason I went with a bola is so the two can wrap up and bring the tether up...

Would it be asking too much to do an animation of what that might look like?
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-Feb-09 at 08:21 PM.

Thank you guys for your kind words!!! Means a lot. And sorry for taking my time to get back to you guys; work's taking up more time than usual this month!

@publiusr I love a good challenge, so I'm going to give it a try! Needless to say, modelling the physics of the tether will be the trickiest part, but I'm going to start working on this, step by step, and will report my progress in this thread. First thing I'll need to implement is a logrithmic depth buffer for the camera... So that objects that small can be made out (graphics wise, going from au's to only a couple of hundred yards is not as straight forward as it may seem ). I will most likely have to ask you a couple of questions along the way; hope that's okay! Would be a useful feature to implement, though, because if I can get that done I should be able to simulate asteroid redirect missions and what have you... Sweet, thank you for making my mind race !