Thread: Could you make a can that self chilled upon opening?

Could you make a can that self chilled upon opening?

Say a can with a canister of liquid CO2 that released the CO2 upon opening or such like...to bring the drink down to a nice cool temperature?

edit: upon googhoobinging I see that it is an old idea....
    Last edited by WaxRubiks; 2019-Jan-29 at 06:55 AM.
    Formerly Frog march.

In Japan, as I sait in the stadium watching the Yokohama Baystars, I was surprised to be able to buy a can of sake whereby you could push in a "button," and the can would heat up. Hot sake!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Put it in the can at 300 bars and bring back to room temperature; when you open it the rapid expansion would result in a nicely chilled beverage. And instant decapitation.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Say a can with a canister of liquid CO2 that released the CO2 upon opening or such like...to bring the drink down to a nice cool temperature?

edit: upon googhoobinging I see that it is an old idea....
    that would be solid co2 subliming and cooling. I guess a small peltier cooler with battery would work now that we have lithium batteries, but reusable for cost. We have a cold box for journeys with a peltier in the lid.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Put it in the can at 300 bars and bring back to room temperature; when you open it the rapid expansion would result in a nicely chilled beverage. And instant decapitation.
    I suppose even mildly pressurized soda cans must experience at least a bit of that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    that would be solid co2 subliming and cooling. I guess a small peltier cooler with battery would work now that we have lithium batteries, but reusable for cost. We have a cold box for journeys with a peltier in the lid.
    We've got one of those too, it plugs into the car. Very handy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I suppose even mildly pressurized soda cans must experience at least a bit of that effect.
    You can sometimes see the condensation when you first open a Cola bottle. About the decapitation: I once opened an orange juice bottle that had reached an impressive pressure due to fermentation or something similar. The sound was spectacular, and the top shot with such force into my hand that I thought it broke my thumb (it didn't, I have a solid steel body). Not sure how much pressure that was. PET bottles normally are structurally guaranteed up to 8 bars (IIRC), but unless you're making a water rocket, they should never see anything near that pressure. (disclaimer: be careful when making a water rocket; a cork shot at your eye at 8 bars is no joke)