Thread: Sandwich box sized, ISS emergency evacuation vehicles, package..?

Sandwich box sized, ISS emergency evacuation vehicles, package..?

Would it be possible to have a small emergency evacuation vehicles kit, that consisted of a large inflatable bag, which a person could climb into with say scuba diving oxygen kit, which could then fill with heat resistant(when set) foam?

Obviously the orbit speed would have to be cancelled to some extent to bring this escape bubble back into the higher atmosphere.....but if this could work, it would take up a small amount of space, and be used if a proper emergency evacuation vehicle became disabled.

The ISS travels at 27,600 km/h. How much momentum has to be knocked off, to get re-entry path?

oh well; just an idea.
    Formerly Frog march.

I imagine the landing might be tricky.

I would ask that you try it out before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I imagine the landing might be tricky.

I would ask that you try it out before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well it would have to have a parachute....

I'm going to insist..!
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    well it would have to have a parachute....

I'm going to insist..!
    In that case I'm afraid you've ruined the "sandwhich box sized" part. There's no way you're going to stuff a parachute into a sandwich box!
    As above, so below

You are wanting to make basically a hybrid of the MOOSE personal re-entry system and a Personal Rescue Enclosure, which on first glance at least seems entirely doable. Would just be a lot bigger and heavier than a sandwich box, more like a large suitcase

If you’re thinking of a more or less straight fall to the ground you’ll need to bleed off a LOT of velocity and that would require some serious retro rockets. Retros typically only provide enough thrust to destabilize the orbit and atmospheric drag does the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How about a plastic bag, that inflated to 100m in diameter; a giant bubble..

A bubble that fires out a line towards earth with a parachute on it, to act to slow down the orbit of the bubble, and bring it into the upper atmosphere...

In space, there wouldn't need to be much air to fill such a bubble.

Would, such a giant bubble have a low enough terminal velocity to prevent much re-entry heat, ie a high atmospheric drag to weight ration, slowing it down..?

If so, you'd need around 30,000 square meters of plastic film to make the bubble.

So it would consist of 30,000 square meters of bubble film.
    a canister to fill the bubble.
    A system, to fire out a drag-line..the parachute from this could also maybe act as the parachute to bring it down to the surface, when in the proper atmosphere.

The bubble would start to collapse as the atmospheric pressure increased, and it might end up as just a collapsed bag, falling beneath the drag-line parachute.

Might be a good option for if a space-walk went wrong...

edit
    edit: for that I think it would be about 0.5 cubic meters of plastic sheet, and weigh half a tonne....yea, more like a large suitcase....I'll start making them and selling them on ebay..
    Last edited by WaxRubiks; 2019-Feb-04 at 08:51 AM.
    Formerly Frog march.

At the altitude of ISS, how long will it take for atmospheric drag to slow this bubble-parachute enough to re-enter?