Thread: 20 years since the release of The Matrix.

20 years since the release of The Matrix.

Release date

• March 31, 1999 (United States)

I first saw The Matrix at the cinema, upon its release in the UK. I got into the cinema a bit late, and missed the first few minutes.
    I'm not sure how, maybe a trailer or something someone said, or I just guessed, but I had a strong hunch about the general theme of the movie.

It was very satisfying at the part of the movie where Neo took the red pill and we got to see him in the tank attached to the high structure with all the other people in their own tanks.

The movie has given me, I think, a way to think about how reality works, which I am very grateful for.

My main criticism of the movie is that it focuses too much on violence, with all the gun fights etc...I liked the martial arts stuff though, that was fine....also it might have been nice to have a bit more exploration of this fictional world....perhaps some more scenes that weren't filled with seriousness. A bit more laid back exploration of the virtual world.
    Cypher was actually one of my favourite characters, with a sense of humour and a laid back attitude..plus he had one of the best lines in the movie: "Buckle up Dorothy. Kansas is going bye-bye.'
    One off the reasons he betrayed them was that he was sick of being in the environment of the submarine type vessel eating gunk...I have often wondered why he and the others couldn't have taken restbites in their own virtual matrix, which they had access to, and where Morpheus took Neo to explain some of the history of the 'real world', and teach him how to fight the agents...and take the jump test.

They could have all gone for a night on the town in the safety of their private matrix..but yes I know he had to have a motive for betraying them, so I'm not sure what else that could have been.

....anyway; 20 years anniversary this March 31st.
    Last edited by WaxRubiks; 2019-Feb-28 at 11:29 AM.

The first movie was pretty good, but a lot of things bothered me about it.

The biggest is the idea behind the whole thing of keeping humans captive; it makes absolutely no sense. First, the idea of using humans as an energy source is absurd; basic thermodynamics would tell you that. And even if it did somehow work, why use humans? You could just as well use sheep or any warm-blooded animal. And if for some weird reason you wanted to use humans, brain-dead ones would be just as good an energy source.

I always thought a better idea would be that they were using humans for their brains, as computers. They kept them alive and their brains functioning because the humans used only a small part of their brains for their simulated lives, and the machines used the unused extra capacity.

The special effects were terrific, they even stand up well, and they really spawned a lot of copycats.

The second and third movies got progressively worse.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yes, it always irked me when Morpheus held out the battery to show Neo what the system was for, and Neo started screaming 'Nooooo!'...always seemed a bit odd.

But I think the two later films kind of resolved that a bit, and the 'battery' idea wasn't the real reason for the Matrix, but some kind of war between two entities, the old woman(prophet) and the old man with the beard.

The second film wasn't much good, and I only watched it once. The third film was a bit better, and I watched it twice..

I worked as a mental health counselor at a psychiatric hospital where I met a client with what I call the "Matrix delusion," that being he believed he lived in a simulated reality in which death was not "real." You never met anyone more dangerous in your entire life.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

When ever I misplace my car keys and then find them exactly where I had already looked, that movie comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Yes, it always irked me when Morpheus held out the battery to show Neo what the system was for, and Neo started screaming 'Nooooo!'...always seemed a bit odd.

But I think the two later films kind of resolved that a bit, and the 'battery' idea wasn't the real reason for the Matrix, but some kind of war between two entities, the old woman(prophet) and the old man with the beard.

The second film wasn't much good, and I only watched it once. The third film was a bit better, and I watched it twice..
    further to this: I got the feeling when the old man with the beard met the prophet on the park bench, that the whole thing was set in a kind of simulation. Non of the worlds were 'real' neither inside the matrix, or for the ones who supposedly got out of it. This was shown when Neo was able to stop one of the sentinels, when he was supposedly outside the matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    When ever I misplace my car keys and then find them exactly where I had already looked, that movie comes to mind.
    Whenever we are doing something for the first time on the job, we get all Matrix.

"Do you know how to configure that ethernet switch?"

[while opening Google] "Not yet..."

I first saw the night I finished an observing project for a first year astronomy course. I walked down to Spring Garden Road in Halifax and got to the movie theater and was really surprised.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

And the music!

Awesome soundtrack still.

Scuttles off to youtube to test speakers

I watched it quite a few times with a couple of the other tenants at a block of flats I used to live in; mainly in the small hours.

shuffles into communal area.
    'shall we watch The Matrix again?'
    'oh go on then'

Sticks in old VHS video....

'You were given specific instructions....'
    'I think my boys can handle a littl' girl'
    'Captain your men are already dead'

Or something like that...it's been a while..

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The first movie was pretty good, but a lot of things bothered me about it.

The biggest is the idea behind the whole thing of keeping humans captive; it makes absolutely no sense. First, the idea of using humans as an energy source is absurd; basic thermodynamics would tell you that. And even if it did somehow work, why use humans? You could just as well use sheep or any warm-blooded animal. And if for some weird reason you wanted to use humans, brain-dead ones would be just as good an energy source.
    The real reason for elaborately trussing up humans and using them as things, is REVENGE. The Machines can hate, Smith was proof of that, so they turned the tables on their former slave-owners; now we are the machines and they walk (levitate) around free.

Morpheus may or may not have believed his own line of bull, but it was all patter to convince hackers to accept drugs from a weird guy in a trenchcoat.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Smith remains one of my favorite movie villains of all time. Love the guy.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Smith remains one of my favorite movie villains of all time. Love the guy.
    "Missster Annnderson."

I get all shivery when I hear that. WHOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The real reason for elaborately trussing up humans and using them as things, is REVENGE. The Machines can hate, Smith was proof of that, so they turned the tables on their former slave-owners; now we are the machines and they walk (levitate) around free.

Morpheus may or may not have believed his own line of bull, but it was all patter to convince hackers to accept drugs from a weird guy in a trenchcoat.
    Interesting idea; never thought of it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Another possible justification is, the Matrix doesn't just distract humans, it allows the Machines to make use of the human brain's parallel processing power. The illusions we experience are just the equivalent of screen savers to keep us active. The Machines' software runs on our wetware.

That explanation is not mutually exclusive with the Hate one.

That's what the Ware did with Archer's Enterprise in "Full Stop."

I think I'll take the liberty of making a shout out for Dark City -
    Very similar in many ways to The Matrix but came out a year earlier, worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

I love Future Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne3753 View Post
    I think I'll take the liberty of making a shout out for Dark City -
    Very similar in many ways to The Matrix but came out a year earlier, worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
    Amen.