Thread: Charles R. Knight: The Artist who saw through time

Charles R. Knight: The Artist who saw through time

Just started reading the book by Richard Milner on Charles R. Knights life and paintings. The artist who about a hundred years ago, first depicted prehistoric life and brought it to life.

As a child, my fascination with prehistoric life was thanks to his paintings. I remember a huge mural on the Park La Brea Tar Pits exposed at the L.A. County museum. I was fascinated by the sabre toothed tigers.

Amazing is that at a young age he suffered an eye injury in his good eye (his other eye was already nearsighted). As he started his career, he was legally blind. He created huge murals for the most famous museums in North America, despite the fact that he only saw the result as a blur. He would paint a very detailed small version, then assistants, using a grid system, would paint the mural (like a pantograph...).

I still love prehistoric animals, and his paintings are still magic for me. Recent artists use high tech, computer aided tools to create very realistic portrays, but for me the fascination is gone.
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 2019-Mar-05 at 07:32 PM.

I spent a lot of my growing-up time at the Field Museum in Chicago, where Knight's murals were displayed. I had postcards of many of 'em. Still love his dinosaurs in all their outdated (!) charm.

Today, artists use photoshop, digital media to make very realistic recreations, but I find they have lost the magic that Charles Knight and Zdenek Burian had.

That's true with space art as well.