Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evolution of Intelligence: A Comparison

I admit to some frustration regarding your style Colin. It's like a continuous string of "have you stopped beating your wife yet" argumentation. No, I don't keep forgetting about cephalopods. What makes you think I wouldn't agree that intelligence is not a spectrum? What makes you think I'd disagree with anything in your last 2 sentences? I don't discount the many amazing cognitive abilities of the myriad creatures that aren't on the most intelligent species list. Quite often I expound on them.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I agree that we should study cephalopods just because they are so different but they show no signs of organised group behaviour (I think, could be wrong. Perhaps they suffer from being so well evolved into their environment that evolution stopped as it did for sharks. Land animals have faced greater changes and change is the driver of evolution. Anticipating change is an important function of intelligence along many of its vectors.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I agree that we should study cephalopods just because they are so different but they show no signs of organised group behaviour (I think, could be wrong.
    There are some midocean squids that travel in schools.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright