Wow !!

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Are we finally entering this new era?
    https://phys.org/news/2019-03-gravit...t-imaging.html

Regards,
    philippeb8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beautiful.

In the infrared at the moment an​d probably can be used if the planets are fairly warm but really cool.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Wow! That indeed is going to be the next “astronomy boom”...!

What would be really cool is when they can tell if there is shadow going across the planet being cast by a moon.

The picture in the linked article is an artist's rendition, not an actual image. The new instrument provided better spectra of the planet than a single telescope would, but made no pictures at all. The resolution of the 4 VLT is nowhere close to that needed to resolve extrasolar planets.

So, I would vote "no."

That is what my impression of this was they can see what planets atmosphere is made of but not an actual photo of the planet, the last point I made was just a wish.

Yeah but we’re just a step away from making it happen!

Yeah but we’re just a step away from making it happen!
    That would have to be an exceedingly big step, depending on what you mean by "it".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

New era of exoplanet imaging?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That would have to be an exceedingly big step, depending on what you mean by "it".
    Just laying back, visualizing and dissecting exoplanets with the Internet. I’m sure astronomers will be delighted as well.

Last edited by philippeb8; 2019-Mar-27 at 05:56 PM.

Weekly World News

Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    The picture in the linked article is an artist's rendition, not an actual image. The new instrument provided better spectra of the planet than a single telescope would, but made no pictures at all. The resolution of the 4 VLT is nowhere close to that needed to resolve extrasolar planets.

So, I would vote "no."
    In which case the shame is on Physis. Org for not plainnly stating that the image is artwork.

I expect better than this from a legitimate physics publication.

Just laying back, visualizing and dissecting exoplanets with the Internet. I’m sure astronomers will be delighted as well.

And running AI tools to detect extra-terrestrial lifeforms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    The picture in the linked article is an artist's rendition, not an actual image.
    Thanks, I kept looking for something to clarify but the banding in the "image" seemed to favor some sort of image rendering, which would be a fantastic accomplishment. So fantastic that I crunched the size aperture to see what would be required assuming each band on the disk was about 900 km and, interestingly for 129 lyrs, the effective aperture with maximum resolution would be about 900 km. [Well, I did start with 1000km but that didn't quite fit the bill, and someone might care to check the math.]
    Last edited by George; 2019-Mar-27 at 09:26 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Very exciting.

But my excitement is diminished slightly by remembering in the early 90's plans to have an orbital version built and deployed by now.

I agree that they were remiss in not making it clear that the image at the top is an artist's rendition of what the planet might look like. As I understand the article, the interferometer cleanly teased the planet's light out of the total and enabled getting a good spectrum. That spectrum yielded the bulk composition of the atmosphere. My guess is that the researchers developed a theory of what it would look like based on what we know about Jupiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I agree that they were remiss in not making it clear that the image at the top is an artist's rendition of what the planet might look like. As I understand the article, the interferometer cleanly teased the planet's light out of the total and enabled getting a good spectrum. That spectrum yielded the bulk composition of the atmosphere. My guess is that the researchers developed a theory of what it would look like based on what we know about Jupiter.
    So that means we’re very close to get a good snapshot of the real planet, no?

So that means we’re very close to get a good snapshot of the real planet, no?
    No. Just knowing what the atmosphere is mostly made of does not even come close to having a snapshot. Unless you have some other idea of what a snapshot is than I do.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    No. Just knowing what the atmosphere is mostly made of does not even come close to having a snapshot. Unless you have some other idea of what a snapshot is than I do.
    All we need to do is to zoom in by a factor of 10x and we’ll have a more precise image obviously.

So if we don’t have a clear picture yet, my question is: how much efforts are required and how long will it take to accomplish this goal?

All we need to do is to zoom in by a factor of 10x and we’ll have a more precise image obviously.
    The article is about a recording a spectrum of a planet. This has very little to do with imaging, a older spectra if HR8799e looks like this:

HR8799e.JPG

So if we don’t have a clear picture yet, my question is: how much efforts are required and how long will it take to accomplish this goal?
    For that you need to define what a clear picture means. Is 32x32 px (like the moon image attached) at 129 ly enough?

wave32x32.png

Quote Originally Posted by glappkaeft View Post
    The article is about a recording a spectrum of a planet. This has very little to do with imaging, a older spectra if HR8799e looks like this:

HR8799e.JPG

For that you need to define what a clear picture means. Is 32x32 px (like the moon image attached) at 129 ly enough?

wave32x32.png
    Yes.

I was surprised to see that the planet was illuminated from within, by its superhot interior. The storm-shredded clouds are lit from below.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

They Didn't 'See' It

Phillipe, you are missing the point. That very nice and very misleading piece of artwork at the opening of the article has nothing to do with imaging the planet. The work being reported is spectroscopic, not imaging. It is very good work, but in my opinion the article does not report it properly.

Yes.
    If my math is correct that requires a telescope with a resolution of about 0.0000007 arc seconds (1 arc second = 1/3600th of a degree). As a comparison Hubble has a diffraction limit of 0.05 arc seconds. A planet imaging telescope with that spec would have to be about 0.05/0.0000007 (around 70'000) times larger than Hubble. That is a telescope with an opening of 2'400'000 meters.

The resolving power of the interferometer is enough to cleanly separate the planet and the star. That is a far cry from being able to resolve surface features on the planet.

If my math is correct that requires a telescope with a resolution of about 0.0000007 arc seconds (1 arc second = 1/3600th of a degree). As a comparison Hubble has a diffraction limit of 0.05 arc seconds. A planet imaging telescope with that spec would have to be about 0.05/0.0000007 (around 70'000) times larger than Hubble. That is a telescope with an opening of 2'400'000 meters.
    Oh I see. Thanks for the estimate.

They've managed to separate the spectra of the planet from the spectra of its star. The two objects are separated by 14.5 AU. An additional factor of 10x would only give them less contamination in their spectral data.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    In which case the shame is on Physis. Org for not plainnly stating that the image is artwork.

I expect better than this from a legitimate physics publication.
    Publication? phys.org is just a news aggregator.

Great Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Publication? phys.org is just a news aggregator.
    Then I expect better than this from a legitimate physics news site.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Then I expect better than this from a legitimate physics news site.
    Yeah it was misleading. Stuff like that just backfires so I don’t know why they did this.

If you had a magic wand that could make a perfect and large telescope in space and wanted to see that exoplanet as the human eye sees the Moon, then you would need an effective aperture of about 500km, using the diffraction limit equation of 1.22 x wavelength/ aperture dia. I used 550nm as the wavelength.

[Added: I failed to mention that that is for a Uranus sized exoplanet]
    Last edited by George; 2019-Mar-29 at 12:15 AM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.