Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solving the Fermi paradox without assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by FunBotan View Post
    Did I ever state otherwise?
    I was really responding to the title of the thread, where you said "solving the Fermi paradox." I assume you meant that you intended to solve it, which to me implies that you were offering "the solution," not just another possible solution like so many others. If you only mean to say "if what I propose is true, then this would solve the Fermi paradox," then that goes for anything. I can make up my own, "if all aliens have a shielding mechanism that stops us from seeing them, then the Fermi paradox is solved." But I thought that you intended to prove that your solution could actually be demonstrated to be true.
    As above, so below

I can't help but think that the OP must not have a terribly strong grasp on how large black holes form.

FunBotan, after going through all the trouble of collecting matter from the deep gravity wells of stars, why would an intelligent agent then dump the matter into the even deeper gravity well of a nearly-black hole deep storage dump?

Quote Originally Posted by FunBotan View Post
    You're not even reading what I'm saying, are you?
    Yes I am. You have an intelligent civilization/agents/agent that you are forcing to be less intelligent than us by making them ignorant about black holes and how they form.
    The physics is well known. This is a black hole. The usual way they are created is to get enough matter in one place that its mass makes it collapse into its event horizon. No intelligent civilization/agents/agent will do that.

There is also a science fictional way of creating a black hole. Create a mega structure that has enough mass in a volume so that an event horizon is formed around it. The first issue is that a 1 AU radius structure needs > 50 million Suns! That makes the main issue that it is probably impossible to pack matter into that structure almost moot. You would have to do the calculation to support your ATM idea but I suspect that a 50 million solar mass structure of 1 AU radius cannot be built in any known materials.
    Last edited by Reality Check; Today at 03:57 AM.

This is the Fermi paradox. It is a line of reasoning that says star-faring extraterrestrial civilizations should be throughput the Milky Way within a few million years. The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. So they should be here. The paradox is that there is no evidence of this.

The Fermi paradox is mostly about star-faring civilizations but resolutions include that no civilization ever travels between stars.
    However this is not your ATM idea. A civilization/agents/agent ignorant enough the create a black hole needs enough raw material to do this. That is not typically available in a single stellar system. You implied that with a story about disassembling other stars. That is an almost fatal flaw in this ATM idea. When the black holes forms, there will agents on other stellar systems. The extraterrestrial civilization will still exist! I wrote "almost fatal flaw" because you can fix it by adding another assumption - that extraterrestrial civilizations will only send robots to other stellar systems. This also needs another assumption - extraterrestrial civilizations will live completely in whatever they build to collapse onto a black hole. No smart agent to think "this is going to form a black hole so I will run away". No anti-social agent living on a spacecraft, other structure or an outer planet.