Thread: Artificial Sun by the end of the year?

Artificial Sun by the end of the year?

“If he’s right, the device could serve as a template for future nuclear fusion reactors, bringing the dream of unlimited clean energy one step closer to reality.”

https://futurism.com/the-byte/new-artificial-sun-china

They have achieved nuclear fusion with minimum radioactive waste?

Regards,
    philippeb8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re asking if this will be a power reactor, no it won’t. There are a lot of steps before that is achieved. It can test some aspects that could be helpful to power reactors, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Incidentally, nuclear fusion itself is fairly easy to achieve. You can build your own fusion reactor. Building a fusion reactor that can produce more power than it takes to produce the fusion reactions is another matter, however. Then there there are practicalities like tritium production, which requires much more design research (one of the things ITER plans to test) and dealing with the effects of the heavy neutron flux on the reactor structure.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Incidentally, nuclear fusion itself is fairly easy to achieve. You can build your own fusion reactor. Building a fusion reactor that can produce more power than it takes to produce the fusion reactions is another matter, however. Then there there are practicalities like tritium production, which requires much more design research (one of the things ITER plans to test) and dealing with the effects of the heavy neutron flux on the reactor structure.
    Ok so their “unlimited energy” claim is not true then?

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Ok so their “unlimited energy” claim is not true then?

No where in the article you linked do they make such a claim, in fact the exact quote is "According to Duan, the HL-2M Tokamak will be able to achieve an ion temperature of 100 million degrees Celsius, about seven times hotter than the real Sun’s ion temperature. This meets (SP) meeting what the Global Times calls “one of the three challenges to reach the goal of harnessing the nuclear fusion. If he’s right, the device could serve as a template for future nuclear fusion reactors, bringing the dream of unlimited clean energy one step closer to reality."

The remain hurdles are still decades away from being solved, which as Van Rijn pointed out are achieving an energy surplus (and maintain the reaction beyond the current few hundredths of a second we've achieved) and economic Tritium production.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    No where in the article you linked do they make such a claim, in fact the exact quote is "According to Duan, the HL-2M Tokamak will be able to achieve an ion temperature of 100 million degrees Celsius, about seven times hotter than the real Sun’s ion temperature. This meets (SP) meeting what the Global Times calls “one of the three challenges to reach the goal of harnessing the nuclear fusion. If he’s right, the device could serve as a template for future nuclear fusion reactors, bringing the dream of unlimited clean energy one step closer to reality."

The remain hurdles are still decades away from being solved, which as Van Rijn pointed out are achieving an energy surplus (and maintain the reaction beyond the current few hundredths of a second we've achieved) and economic Tritium production.
    Ok. Thank you very much for the clarifications.