Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire, major damage expected

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I was in Edinburgh about, um, 1980 or so. So there will be a volcano.
    I think we'll be waiting a while for that eruption.

I have never been to France or anywhere in Europe. Too expensive for my budget. But I do have memories of Charles Laughton playing the Hunchback and whenever I think of the cathedral I do think of my fondness for the film and all the art and architecture that seems to permeate Paris. Many fellow astronomers and my sister have been there. Sad days but they will recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Saw Notre Dame and walked around in it with my first wife, c. 1980.

Saw WTC in NYC with my second wife, c. 1990s.

Not going anywhere with my third wife. Staying home.
    Well, I lived in the suburbs of Paris when I was a kid, in the 1970s, and I lived in the suburbs of NYC when I was a teenager, in the 1980s, so I saw both Notre Dame and the WTC a number of times. So I think I am probably more likely to be responsible than you are. Incidentally, because I live in a suburb of Tokyo now I occasionally see the Sky Tree. . .
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The size, and the hefty ceiling below the wooden roof structure. While the cathedral was an absolute torch on top, you could perfectly well be inside it and basically not even notice the fire (before the spire fell down and punctured the ceiling, of course).

A very similar situation happened in 1968 when during the night the roof of the Saint-Paul church of Antwerp burned. Being one of the main churches of Antwerp (there is of course the cathedral as well), it contained many works of art including Van Dyck, Jordaens and three Rubens. In fact, it used to have over 30 ceiling paintings by Rubens but those got destroyed in another fire a few centuries before. Anyway, back to 1968. The roof is ablaze, the priest panics. No people are inside the church, but he is devastated by the thought of all the art being lost. At that time of the night and in that part of the city, you basically find two kinds of people: students (quite some art students), and people who offer nightly services of various nature to students. All of them stormed into the church in a way unseen since the French Revolution, the priest smart enough not to object against anyone particular's precense in a holy place. The group removed as many art pieces as they could as quickly and safely as they could. Forget white gloves and bubble wrap; many art works were mounted very firmly against the walls and pilars so they had to resort to using military shovels to pry some works off the walls and use knives to cut some (large) works out of their frames. One of the main paintings was an absolutely huge painting by Cornelis Cels (most wall carpets are smaller than that one!) which they removed as only the cloth from huge ladders. In the end nobody got hurt, and almost all art was saved with relatively minor damage. And nothing got stolen.

I'll link to some pictures of the event -the art saving, not so much the fire itself- here:
    https://gvacdn.akamaized.net/Assets/...5&maxwidth=700
    https://gvacdn.akamaized.net/Assets/...5&maxwidth=700
    https://images4.persgroep.net/rcs/aV...b2&quality=0.8
    http://images.memorix.nl/naa/thumb/5...c56ed507eb.jpg
    https://archive.is/9jt2Y/a8f363a7f07...c8122a0986.JPG
    Wow! Some people are... awesome.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Well, I lived in the suburbs of Paris when I was a kid, in the 1970s, and I lived in the suburbs of NYC when I was a teenager, in the 1980s, so I saw both Notre Dame and the WTC a number of times. So I think I am probably more likely to be responsible than you are. Incidentally, because I live in a suburb of Tokyo now I occasionally see the Sky Tree. . .
    Should any kaiju show up, make sure you stream the video. Don't bother running; they're faster than you are.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

In the "dark cloud - silver lining" department, the drive for donations to rebuild Notre Dame spurred some folks to wonder why there had been no similar drive to rebuild three churches in Louisiana recently torched by an arsonist. That caused some activity on the donation front and they've raised over $2mil as of a couple of days ago. Not much by cathedral standards but a whole lot for three small churches.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Perhaps it's not "too soon" now. Even while the fire was burning, I learned that the spire that collapsed was the work of Eugène Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc and immediately thought "good". I hate that guy, even though he's been dead for about 150 years. He not only spent half of the 19th century going all over France "restoring", by which I mean "destroying" historic sites by rebuilding them to the way he thought they should have been, but is responsible for a couple of impossible trebuchet "recreations", because he didn't understand how they actually worked.

This image, which is the second that comes up if you look for "trebuchet" in Wikipedia, is his responsibility. You see it EVERYWHERE! And nobody in the modern hurling community has any idea of how it was supposed to work. Neither did he, but that didn't bother him one little bit.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There will be an architecture contest for a new spire. I think, with 1 billion you have more than enough money for jsut a roof reconstruction and a new spire. So why not use the momentum to finish the cathedral as it was envisioned almost 1000 years ago? With some modifications for fire safety. Here is a model according to the original plans.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/35...dec9aa9a01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    There will be an architecture contest for a new spire. I think, with 1 billion you have more than enough money for jsut a roof reconstruction and a new spire. So why not use the momentum to finish the cathedral as it was envisioned almost 1000 years ago? With some modifications for fire safety. Here is a model according to the original plans.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/35...dec9aa9a01.jpg
    It sounds like an interesting idea. The two tall spires look 'odd' to me after being used to the most recent shape. But I am sure they would become swiftly be seen as 'normal' - and I would probably not live long enough to see them completed anyway.

The two tall spires in the front are the original design of most cathedrals, but the majority was never finished and have towers of reduced height. In many cases both towers reduced, like Notre Dame. In Antwerp you have 1 tower of full height and one of reduced height, as each tower was built with different funds and one ran out of money. Few, like Cologne, have both towers finished according to plan.