Thread: School Bus Behavior 2019

School Bus Behavior 2019

After a 5 year hiatus from driving due to adductor tendonitis, I have returned to bus driving to increase my amateur astronomy budget.

Improvements in behavior was taking place just before I left in 2014. So how are things now in Illinois District 214?

The students board the bus and sit quietly and remain in their seats. As they exit the bus, 27 out of the 32 students will thank me both at arrival and on the way home. They just let bus drivers drive while they talk about their future and the courses they are taking.

All of the bus drivers at all of the high schools are experiencing this.

How we relate to them has updated from 2014. We introduce ourselves the first day and repeat to them 4 things that cannot occur.

1.) Bus drivers are not allowed to complement a student in front of other students at any time.
    2.) Bus drivers are not allowed to berate any misbehavior in front of other students at any time.
    3.) If students hold a common interest with the bus driver, they are not allowed to come to the front of the bus and converse with the bus driver about it. That includes sports,music or astronomy and math.
    4.) Bus drivers are not allowed to interfere with the personal business of the students at any time. If we treat them like adults, likely they will act like adults. They are not to be seen as our "kids". We just drive and they just ride.

The reasons for #1 and #2 are to avoid making students feel like either brown noses or jerks. The reasoning for #3 is to avoid favoritism.

Add to that, one fellow astronomer's daughter just began her teaching career and the neighbor asked her what the difference is between her training and the reality of being a teacher at the high school level. Her response? " All of my students are attentive in class and respect me. I was prepared for that at all."

I find that students in high school are not ignoring one another and just cruising the internet at all. They talk a lot and only make references to things on the web. It seems to be the older generations are composed of the most social media addicts.

Even today's behavior disorder students are far more orderly than years past. They used to hang out the windows and spit at cars passing by, beg us to run over animals and women with baby carriages, beat each other up daily on the bus, threaten to kill drivers and now that is gone. They still misbehave but hold it for rehab and they are addicted to social media.

Dealing with autism has changed the most and is far more advanced than years ago. We spend a lot of training and retraining in treatment of autistic students.

All the fellow officers in my astronomy club, including a few college professors, think I am making this up.

[stunned] Kinda different from me riding the school bus in the 1960s. I must salute you for your courage.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    began her teaching career and the neighbor asked her what the difference is between her training and the reality of being a teacher at the high school level. Her response? " All of my students are attentive in class and respect me. I was prepared for that at all."
    Did you mean to say that she was *not* prepared for that?

That would be encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Did you mean to say that she was *not* prepared for that?

That would be encouraging
    Yep. I typed that too fast and should've proofread it. I did catch the error but once an OP is written there does not appear anyway for me to edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post

So how are things now in Illinois District 214?

The students board the bus and sit quietly and remain in their seats. As they exit the bus, 27 out of the 32 students will thank me both at arrival and on the way home.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    What?
    That is correct as it stands. Whether going to school or going home from school, things remain a constant. More talk exists on the way home but they keep it within themselves. I do not recall that one bus driver I have talked to has written any bus citations this year. Management insists there is just one student who is an issue. They not only thank me but some will tell me to have a good weekend on Fridays or happy holidays just before either winter or spring break.

The kids have been replaced by aliens. Or robots. Something like that.