Thread: How big would John Mitchell's dark star have to be?

How big would John Mitchell's dark star have to be?

That is, a normal star that is large enough to gravitationally attract light. Is there an absolute limit to how large stars can get?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

He was apparently thinking of an object at least as dense as the Sun, but with 500 times the diameter. That works out about right; such an object would have a mass of at least 125 million solar masses, which would have a Schwarzschild radius of 370 million kilometers, which is indeed a little more than 500 times the Sun's radius of 700,000 km.

The largest stars we know of are about 130 solar masses; we think there may be limits on the possibility of larger stars forming. But of course there are indeed supermassive black holes as big or bigger than what Mitchell was envisioning.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

M87* (I think the asterisk means "black hole") is about 6.5 billion solar masses.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    M87* (I think the asterisk means "black hole") is about 6.5 billion solar masses.
    Andromeda would be a closer example (pun intended). It's BH is about 230 million solar masses and you only need about 125 million solar masses for a BH (EH) radius of 370 million km.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.