Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Comets to Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My first statement had no qualifiers, what do you mean by I wrote "confidently"? Serious question. I have communication issues.
    I meant that you didnít say, I thought that... or isnít it possible that? Or something like that. You made it sound definitive, at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I meant that you didn’t say, I thought that... or isn’t it possible that? Or something like that. You made it sound definitive, at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, add qualifiers. Noted.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I don't know, maybe the ones that form in comets?
    Like what?
    Be specific. Give examples of salts that would condense from a stellar nebula in large quantities alongside water. Or are we going to have to take this to ATM to get you to admit there aren't any?

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Like what?
    Be specific. Give examples of salts that would condense from a stellar nebula in large quantities alongside water. Or are we going to have to take this to ATM to get you to admit there aren't any?
    Why don't you admit that you don't actually know, any more than any of us do, the internal composition of comets? OR the exact way matter condensed in the stellar nebula?

Forget it, I'm done with this argument. Respond or don't, I no longer will.

I love how a question inspired by a silly bit on a cartoon can inspire a technical discussion about what comets might be made of. I do wish, however, that folks would just go with the idea that we can pick out which comets are 99% water (or only have benign gases like oxygen, in addition to water) and point out the problems from there. I mean, say the ice cap at the North Pole completely melted and we tried to replace it (again, assuming we could gently, regardless of cost, drop) a comet at the North Pole. What's that do to sea levels? Salinity levels of the ocean? How likely is the comet to shatter when it's eased into an ocean just above freezing point? Things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerfan View Post
    (or only have benign gases like oxygen, in addition to water)
    Not to nitpick but oxygen is one of the least benign elements in the periodic table!

It's highly toxic to many forms of life and burns pretty much anything!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Not to nitpick but oxygen is one of the least benign elements in the periodic table!

It's highly toxic to many forms of life and burns pretty much anything!
    It's an interesting point. Actually today, I was talking to a friend, and she asked somewhat innocently, why do people say that antioxidants are good for us? Isn't oxygen a good thing. And that's actually a nice question as it opens the door to a discussion of how toxic oxygen can be. We tend to see it as the thing that we need more than anything else, which of course is true but which doesn't clarify the complexity of oxidation.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerfan View Post
    I love how a question inspired by a silly bit on a cartoon can inspire a technical discussion about what comets might be made of. I do wish, however, that folks would just go with the idea that we can pick out which comets are 99% water (or only have benign gases like oxygen, in addition to water) and point out the problems from there. I mean, say the ice cap at the North Pole completely melted and we tried to replace it (again, assuming we could gently, regardless of cost, drop) a comet at the North Pole. What's that do to sea levels? Salinity levels of the ocean? How likely is the comet to shatter when it's eased into an ocean just above freezing point? Things like that.
    Is it possible to "ease" something from orbit? It's always a non-trivial task even soft-landing things we designed to land, let alone a mountain sized pile of loosely bound ice particles.

As for the idea of adding ice mass back to already melted Polar caps, I think it would screw up our oceans something fierce.

You would have to bag the thing into smaller sizes, to keep dust down, unless you want a light show/debris...

Is it possible to "ease" something from orbit? It's always a non-trivial task even soft-landing things we designed to land, let alone a mountain sized pile of loosely bound ice particles.

As for the idea of adding ice mass back to already melted Polar caps, I think it would screw up our oceans something fierce.
    We are, after all, talking about a TV series where they travel to Omicron Persei Eight as easily as you or I do the corner market and where a pizza delivery boy can rearrange stars to spell out "I love you" with relative ease.

Now, if you want to get into the realm of more serious SF, you could talk about why ice is so valuable in the Expanse series.

Ceres was dry in that series.

2060 Chiron might evolve into a short period comet in a million years or so. I can see that perhaps sped up a bit, and sent towards Mars.