Thread: The Mighty Thor-ium

The Mighty Thor-ium

Thorium reactors proposed are breeders that must use Uranium isotopes in their mix, usually spent fuel from other reactors.

It is feasible to design a thorium reactor that uses an alternate neutron source like a fusor, and no outside uranium source at all? Just thorium?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

A particle accelerator initiated design has been proposed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acce...itical_reactor

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Here's another link with a bit more technical detail:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...ar-energy.aspx

For many years there has been interest in utilising thorium-232 as a nuclear fuel since it is three to five times as abundant in the Earth's crust as uranium. A thorium reactor would work by having Th-232 capture a neutron to become Th-233 which decays to uranium-233, which fissions. (The process of converting fertile isotopes such as Th-232 to fissile ones is known as 'breeding'.) The problem is that insufficient neutrons are generated to keep the reaction going, and so driver fuel is needed – either plutonium or enriched uranium. Just as with uranium, if all of it and not a mere 0.7% of uranium is to be used as fuel, fast neutron reactors are required in the system. (A fast neutron spectrum enables maximum fission with minimum build-up of new actinides due to neutron capture.) An alternative is provided by the use of ADSs. The concept of using an ADS based on the thorium-U-233 fuel cycle was first proposed by Professor Carlo Rubbia, but at a national level, India is the country with most to gain, due to its very large thorium resources. India is actively researching ADSs as an alternative to its main fission program focused on thorium.
    It discusses some of the advantages and disadvantages of an ADS. It also could be used for a uranium reactor with some advantages in safety, but added complexity.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Thanks!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

You’re quite welcome.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser